DOB Calc and Birth Month

  • aprileric_1999
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2007
      I pulled birth by month data from
      http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Science/story?id=990641 (Covering 1995-
      2002) and found that the player distribution provided earlier does
      differ from that of the average population. I used the raw (rather
      than per day figures).
      Ballplayers
      Actual Expected
      JAN 9.0% 8.2%
      FEB 7.1% 7.6%
      MAR 8.3% 8.4%
      APR 8.1% 8.0%
      MAY 7.7% 8.4%
      JUN 7.1% 8.3%
      JUL 6.6% 8.8%
      AUG 10.9% 8.9%
      SEP 8.8% 8.7%
      OCT 9.4% 8.5%
      NOV 8.9% 8.0%
      DEC 8.2% 8.3%

      One important caveat is that this assumes the distribution of births
      by month has remained static over time. I'd be willing to bet that
      this is not true. I expect that births were much more skewed toward
      September and October earlier in the 20th century, when people had
      much less opportunity to get out during December and January.

      A fairer comparison might be to look at the distribution of birth
      months of ballplayers born after some more recent date, say 1969. We
      probably also should exclude players who only appeared in the most
      recent season, since I would expect a slight bias toward players born
      earlier in the year. These players would be older and perhaps more
      likely to get a late season callup; I'm guessing here, of course, and
      the effect is probably small, though the distribution of birth dates
      by number of games played in the player's debut season might be an
      interesting study.