Two playerID's in Salary table not in Master table

  • Keith Hemmelman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
      It's possible I messed something up during my import of the CSV files into my Access database, but I believe there are two records in the Salary table in which the corresponding playerID does not exist in the Master table.  I've listed the two records from the Salary table below:

      yearID     teamID     lgID     playerID     salary
      2006       FLO        NL       megremi01    327000
      2006       TBA        AL       morish01     500000

      I searched the Master table for the "megremi01" and "morish01" playerID's and could not find them.

      So my question is, are there two records missing from the Master table, or are these two records in the Salary table not supposed to be there?

      Keith Hemmelman

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
        These are minor leaguers who were given major league contracts or were reported as having salaries.  They can be deleted from the table or ignored.  Sometimes these are guys who sign major league contracts, but play in the minors the whole year.

        sean

        On 11/29/06, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@...> wrote:

        It's possible I messed something up during my import of the CSV files into my Access database, but I believe there are two records in the Salary table in which the corresponding playerID does not exist in the Master table.  I've listed the two records from the Salary table below:

        yearID     teamID     lgID     playerID     salary
        2006       FLO        NL       megremi01    327000
        2006       TBA        AL       morish01     500000

        I searched the Master table for the "megremi01" and "morish01" playerID's and could not find them.

        So my question is, are there two records missing from the Master table, or are these two records in the Salary table not supposed to be there?

        Keith Hemmelman

        Baseball Stats!  http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/
        SR Blog!           http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/blog/
      • John Walsh

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
              Thanks John for confirming it wasn't a problem on my end.  Sean explained why they show up, which makes sense now that I know it.

              Keith Hemmelman

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
                These players should exist in the Master table, since
                every personID in every table must be able to be
                joined to the Master. i.e., no orphans.

                Now, should they have been in the Salary table in the
                first place? Absolutely. If the salary table
                represents MLB payroll, a player doesn't need to be
                playing. A guy can sign a 10yr deal, get hurt after
                the first year, and he should still appear in the
                Salary table for the other 9 years. Or players can
                miss entire seasons in the middle of a contract, etc.

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
                  I agree on both counts.

                  These employees by MLB player contract who never appeared in games are
                  just one class of persons who will have IDs here but may have no
                  retroID, baseball-almanac ID, and so on. Along the same lines, we may
                  someday have a table of major league suspensions or disablings that
                  covers a few people who never played in a game (and for whom we have no
                  salary data). Some people now have retroID as major league umpires but
                  have no IDs here.

                  Paul