Fred Clarke hit .406 in 1897?

  • wknight94
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      I think this has been brought up in the past but I can't find it for
      the life of me. The Hall of Fame website, Baseballlibrary.com and a
      few other places say that HOF'er Fred Clarke hit .406 in 1897.
      Baseball-reference.com, MLB.com and many other places disagree,
      putting Clarke's 1897 average closer to .390. Does anyone know the
      story behind this discrepancy? Didn't someone write an article
      somewhere on this topic? The difference was significant since it's
      the only season that Clarke allegedly hit .400+

      Thanks! :)

      Bill Knight
    • Rod Nelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Bill - Clarke's numbers, and more notably Cap Anson's, were adjusted by
        the editors of the McMillan Baseball Encyclopedia based on some really
        sloppy practices after David Neft was no longer in charge. This mess is
        described in Alan Schwarz's The Numbers Game on p158-161. I'll work on
        getting the good folk at BaseballLibrary.com to update their bio.

        Rod Nelson
        Research Services Manager
        www.sabr.org

        I think this has been brought up in the past but I can't find it for
        the life of me. The Hall of Fame website, Baseballlibrary.com and a
        few other places say that HOF'er Fred Clarke hit .406 in 1897.
        Baseball-reference.com, MLB.com and many other places disagree,
        putting Clarke's 1897 average closer to .390. Does anyone know the
        story behind this discrepancy? Didn't someone write an article
        somewhere on this topic? The difference was significant since it's
        the only season that Clarke allegedly hit .400+

        Thanks! :)

        Bill Knight

        http://www.baseball-databank.org/
        Yahoo! Groups Links