Re: Steve Brady 1875 stints

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      I should have said that I have not checked Brady 1875 in the current
      databank, only in an older lahman (5.2?) and at baseball-reference
      (Steve Brady).

      This is among 26 stint orderings that Michael Mavrogiannis reported in
      "Career discrepancies vs. Retrosheet." He advised revising (inverting)
      all 26 to match retrosheet. Sean Forman evidently accepted the advice
      19 Apr 2004 (#2087). Maybe that has been done.

      I concur with M.M.'s recommendation in case it still matters.

      Paul Wendt

      19 Apr 2004, in baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman
      <sean-forman@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      >
      > Thanks, I'll update these.

      [Michael Mavrogiannis:]
      >>There are 26 cases where version 5.1 of the database shows a player's
      stints in a different sequence than that shown on the player's
      Retrosheet page:
      <<
      > > yearID,playerID,retroID,nameFirst,nameLast
      + > 1875,bradyst01,brads101,Steve,Brady
      . . .
      + > 1900,quinnjo02,quinj101,Joe,Quinn
      + > 1902,dugglbi01,duggb101,Bill,Duggleby
      + > 1902,sheckji01,shecj101,Jimmy,Sheckard
      + > 1902,taylodu01,tayld102,Dummy,Taylor

      . . . All of the cases except 2003 Abernathy involve players who changed
      teams during the preceding off-season, and changed teams again during
      the season, rejoining the team with which they had ended the previous
      season.
      <<

      That is not true of Quinn, but he is easy for me to check in the daily
      record (done). The three 1902 cases are famous: AL players persuaded by
      NL lawyers to jump to their preceding, NL employers because the courts
      would soon rule against their playing elsewhere.

      Paul Wendt