Re: Proposal: Convert current db back to solely numeric keys

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
      baseball-databank article number 3000 is another informative one by
      Tom Ruane.

      In the new edition of SABR's Biographical data there are two Bradys,
      about whom no other information is known. One played for Chicago in
      1875 and the other umpired in the National League in 1877. There are
      also two Jones (one played for 1884 WAS a and the other 1885 NY a),
      two Martin Malones, William McLaughlins, John Ryans, Smiths, Sullivans
      and two John Wards. The fact that no other information is known about
      these people doesn't alter the fact that from the perspective of the
      DB, they have the same birthdate and first and last names.
      <<

      Right.

      > I guess I misunderstood what was being proposed here.

      KJOK observed that the cost of maintaining or developing the data
      without meaningful person IDs such as the Lahman 5-2-2 is mitigated by
      the fact that people can use a combination such as Last First DOB. I
      am not sure in what contexts, on what scale. One special context,
      almost always tiny or small in scale, is the "handwritten" note to
      this egroup. We use the IDs frequently here.

      Perhaps more to the point, we commonly quote entire or truncated
      records from one of the database tables. Certainly the data
      maintenance function of this egroup works as well as it does partly
      because almost everyone here accesses bbdb tables directly.

      Paul Wendt