Re: 2005 Files

  • Joseph Adler
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi Sean,

      I'm not sure that I understand what happened here. In August 2005, the
      format of the database was radically changed to a more efficient
      database structure. There was no declaration at the time that this was
      an experimental release. In December 2005, the format of the database
      was changed again.

      I certainly appreciate the work that you (and others) have put into
      building this free database. However, any time that you make a change
      to the structure of the databse, it affects and inconveniences quite a
      few people.

      In the future, I hope that you will consider how changes to the
      structure of the database affect its users.

      -- Joe

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman
      <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

      > Keith,
      >
      > I apologize but the August 2 release was not a public release in the
      sense
      > that it was a dramatic departure from the previous structure of the
      BDB. I
      > did it more as a proof of concept for admins to see what we might do
      with
      > numeric keys. The current release is similar to all of the previous
      > releases and is the style that we will be using for the near-term
      future. I
      > apologize again that your work may have been wasted on the August 2
      release.

      > sean
      >

      > On 12/30/05, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sean, a great many thanks for all the work in providing this! With
      > > the previous "8/2/05" version of the BDB, I had put a some work into
      > > making an Access database of it that contains a variety of forms,
      > > queries, and reports. However, with this latest release it appears
      > > that the format of the files has changed. I had hoped to simply
      > > import the new CSV files into my database (with minor tweaks) and be
      > > up and running but with the change in format all the tables, primary
      > > fields, and relationships in my database are not valid anymore and
      > > I'll probably have to start over. This is not a problem and I'm very
      > > thankful for the goldmine of data offered by this project, but I
      > > thought I would ask if this was intentional to switch away from the
      > > 8/2/05 format and if future CSV file releases will continue to follow
      > > this format. I know nothing is set in stone and I will work with
      > > whatever is released. I wished I had more time to develop better
      > > skills in Access to do even more things with this data (and get them
      > > done quicker too!) but I was pleased with my Access database and what
      > > I could do in it and hope to get an updated one working as well.
      > >
      > > Again, thank you for the updated release.
      > >
      > > Keith
      > >
      > > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-
      > > forman@b...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have uploaded (am uploading) the 2005 files.
      > > >
      > > > There is a mysql file and a csv file as well. I would welcome an
      > > > access file if and when someone is able to produce one.
      > > >

      > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

      > > Mlb
      baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
      Major
      > > league
      baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-0c9Htcsr5rVw>
      Youth

      Major
      > > league baseball
      ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHnfgf0TzWuA>
      Major
      > > league baseball
      umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw>
      Baseball

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        OK, we're good on Team ID, but....

        For Franchise ID, WAS 2005 has a Franchise ID of WSN.

        WSN 1893-1899 has a Franchise ID of WAS.

        I'm thinking it makes sense possibly to swap these two? Or does that
        cause a problem?

        Reference.com/<http://www.baseball-reference.com/>

        > > ------------------------------
        > > Yahoo!
        DSL<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://prom
        o.yahoo.com/broadband/+%0A>Something to write home about. Just
        $16.99/mo. or less

        > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

        t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+
        baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpi
        res&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
        Major
        > > league baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&
        w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+base
        ball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-
        0c9Htcsr5rVw> Youth
        > > baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Youth+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Yout
        h+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+um
        pires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=TUp6sYQUjPDHf0VpUUDemA>
        Major
        > > league baseball ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+ba
        seball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+leag
        ue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHn
        fgf0TzWuA> Major
        > > league baseball umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+b
        aseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+lea
        gue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsf
        vTWw_EOhvw> Baseball
        > > equipment<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Baseball+equipment&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=
        Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+basebal
        l+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=fL5DNCFQAtlKUwH3fAUETw>

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          It's my understanding that the "official" database is the one
          released after the season, usually in December of each year.

          The database just released had the same format/structure as the one
          released in December of 2004, which is what made it easy for me to
          create the 2005 MS Access version.

          The August 2005 files were I thought a "proposed future structure"
          using the 2004 data. It was I believe posted to solicit comments on
          the structure, as opposed to being an actual "new release" of the
          database.

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Adler"

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
            Uhhh... I haven't looked at the database yet, but the
            Franchise ID of Washington should MON, no?

            If the franchise ID of 93-99 is WAS, that shouldn't
            change. There is, with very few, if any, exceptions,
            no reason for a key change. If key changes are deemed
            necessary, everyone and his grandmother need to be
            notified.

            Tom

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Keith Hemmelman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              Thank you for the reply Sean. It's certainly not the end of the
              world for me to start over due to the format change. It generally
              takes me a little longer than someone else with more skills in
              Access than I have, but I'll work through it and I'm happy to have
              the data you provide regardless of the structure. I'll plan on the
              current format as the format of the future and if it changes, then
              I'll try and follow!

              Keith

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                I was expecting MON also for the Expos/Nationals franchise, but it is WSN, not MON.

                MON or WAS would be OK with me, but WAS is of course taken as of now by the 1890's Washington team, so maybe, as I think you're suggesting, it should go back to last year's MON Franchise ID...

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  There is really no reason for the Expos to have a
                  franchise ID of WAS, or anything other than MON. The
                  Nationals should also be MON. Mike Jefferson can
                  change his name to Mike Danton, or Juan Gonzalez can
                  change it to Juan Uribe, or Janet Jones can change it
                  to Janet Gretzky, and their IDs should *never* change.
                  A key is used to uniquely identify something. As a
                  bonus, it *may* give secondary information.

                  Tom

                  === message truncated ===

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • John Walsh
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    My own interpretation is that the public releases appear at www.baseball1.com and anything else found at baseball-databank.org is "experimental".

                    FWIW, I too downloaded the August 2005 release and after seeing that the structure was so drastically changed and that all my scripts would require major rework, I decided to wait until something more official came out. Luckily, the latest release is backwards-compatible with earlier versions.

                     -John Walsh

                    <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                    Youth

                      Major
                    > > league baseball
                    ticket< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHnfgf0TzWuA >
                    Major
                    > > league baseball
                    umpires< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw >
                    Baseball

                    > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                    Mlb baseball Major league baseball Youth baseball
                    Major league baseball ticket Major league baseball umpires Baseball equipment

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  • Tom Timmerman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
                      I noticed that the current release is still missing hbp and sf data
                      in the team file prior to 2000.

                      Tom

                      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "timmermant"