Re: [baseball-databank] Re: 2005 Files

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      Keith,

      I apologize but the August 2 release was not a public release in the sense that it was a dramatic departure from the previous structure of the BDB.  I did it more as a proof of concept for admins to see what we might do with numeric keys.  The current release is similar to all of the previous releases and is the style that we will be using for the near-term future.  I apologize again that your work may have been wasted on the August 2 release.

      sean

      On 12/30/05, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@...> wrote:
      Sean, a great many thanks for all the work in providing this!  With
      the previous "8/2/05" version of the BDB, I had put a some work into
      making an Access database of it that contains a variety of forms,
      queries, and reports.  However, with this latest release it appears
      that the format of the files has changed.  I had hoped to simply
      import the new CSV files into my database (with minor tweaks) and be
      up and running but with the change in format all the tables, primary
      fields, and relationships in my database are not valid anymore and
      I'll probably have to start over.  This is not a problem and I'm very
      thankful for the goldmine of data offered by this project, but I
      thought I would ask if this was intentional to switch away from the
      8/2/05 format and if future CSV file releases will continue to follow
      this format.  I know nothing is set in stone and I will work with
      whatever is released.  I wished I had more time to develop better
      skills in Access to do even more things with this data (and get them
      done quicker too!) but I was pleased with my Access database and what
      I could do in it and hope to get an updated one working as well.

      Again, thank you for the updated release.

      Keith

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-
      forman@b...> wrote:

      > I have uploaded (am uploading) the 2005 files.
      >
      > There is a mysql file and a csv file as well.  I would welcome an
      > access file if and when someone is able to produce one.

      http://www.baseball-databank.org/

      Mlb baseball Major league baseball Youth baseball
      Major league baseball ticket Major league baseball umpires Baseball equipment

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Baseball Stats!   http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/
    • Joseph Adler
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hi Sean,

        I'm not sure that I understand what happened here. In August 2005, the
        format of the database was radically changed to a more efficient
        database structure. There was no declaration at the time that this was
        an experimental release. In December 2005, the format of the database
        was changed again.

        I certainly appreciate the work that you (and others) have put into
        building this free database. However, any time that you make a change
        to the structure of the databse, it affects and inconveniences quite a
        few people.

        In the future, I hope that you will consider how changes to the
        structure of the database affect its users.

        -- Joe

        <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

        > Keith,
        >
        > I apologize but the August 2 release was not a public release in the
        sense
        > that it was a dramatic departure from the previous structure of the
        BDB. I
        > did it more as a proof of concept for admins to see what we might do
        with
        > numeric keys. The current release is similar to all of the previous
        > releases and is the style that we will be using for the near-term
        future. I
        > apologize again that your work may have been wasted on the August 2
        release.

        > sean
        >

        > On 12/30/05, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@p...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sean, a great many thanks for all the work in providing this! With
        > > the previous "8/2/05" version of the BDB, I had put a some work into
        > > making an Access database of it that contains a variety of forms,
        > > queries, and reports. However, with this latest release it appears
        > > that the format of the files has changed. I had hoped to simply
        > > import the new CSV files into my database (with minor tweaks) and be
        > > up and running but with the change in format all the tables, primary
        > > fields, and relationships in my database are not valid anymore and
        > > I'll probably have to start over. This is not a problem and I'm very
        > > thankful for the goldmine of data offered by this project, but I
        > > thought I would ask if this was intentional to switch away from the
        > > 8/2/05 format and if future CSV file releases will continue to follow
        > > this format. I know nothing is set in stone and I will work with
        > > whatever is released. I wished I had more time to develop better
        > > skills in Access to do even more things with this data (and get them
        > > done quicker too!) but I was pleased with my Access database and what
        > > I could do in it and hope to get an updated one working as well.
        > >
        > > Again, thank you for the updated release.
        > >
        > > Keith
        > >
        > > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-
        > > forman@b...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have uploaded (am uploading) the 2005 files.
        > > >
        > > > There is a mysql file and a csv file as well. I would welcome an
        > > > access file if and when someone is able to produce one.
        > > >

        > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

        > > Mlb
        baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
        Major
        > > league
        baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-0c9Htcsr5rVw>
        Youth

        Major
        > > league baseball
        ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHnfgf0TzWuA>
        Major
        > > league baseball
        umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw>
        Baseball

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          OK, we're good on Team ID, but....

          For Franchise ID, WAS 2005 has a Franchise ID of WSN.

          WSN 1893-1899 has a Franchise ID of WAS.

          I'm thinking it makes sense possibly to swap these two? Or does that
          cause a problem?

          Reference.com/<http://www.baseball-reference.com/>

          > > ------------------------------
          > > Yahoo!
          DSL<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://prom
          o.yahoo.com/broadband/+%0A>Something to write home about. Just
          $16.99/mo. or less

          > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

          t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+
          baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpi
          res&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
          Major
          > > league baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&
          w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+base
          ball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-
          0c9Htcsr5rVw> Youth
          > > baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Youth+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Yout
          h+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+um
          pires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=TUp6sYQUjPDHf0VpUUDemA>
          Major
          > > league baseball ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+ba
          seball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+leag
          ue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHn
          fgf0TzWuA> Major
          > > league baseball umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+b
          aseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+lea
          gue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsf
          vTWw_EOhvw> Baseball
          > > equipment<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Baseball+equipment&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=
          Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+basebal
          l+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=fL5DNCFQAtlKUwH3fAUETw>

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
            It's my understanding that the "official" database is the one
            released after the season, usually in December of each year.

            The database just released had the same format/structure as the one
            released in December of 2004, which is what made it easy for me to
            create the 2005 MS Access version.

            The August 2005 files were I thought a "proposed future structure"
            using the 2004 data. It was I believe posted to solicit comments on
            the structure, as opposed to being an actual "new release" of the
            database.

            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Adler"

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              Uhhh... I haven't looked at the database yet, but the
              Franchise ID of Washington should MON, no?

              If the franchise ID of 93-99 is WAS, that shouldn't
              change. There is, with very few, if any, exceptions,
              no reason for a key change. If key changes are deemed
              necessary, everyone and his grandmother need to be
              notified.

              Tom

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Keith Hemmelman
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                Thank you for the reply Sean. It's certainly not the end of the
                world for me to start over due to the format change. It generally
                takes me a little longer than someone else with more skills in
                Access than I have, but I'll work through it and I'm happy to have
                the data you provide regardless of the structure. I'll plan on the
                current format as the format of the future and if it changes, then
                I'll try and follow!

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                  I was expecting MON also for the Expos/Nationals franchise, but it is WSN, not MON.

                  MON or WAS would be OK with me, but WAS is of course taken as of now by the 1890's Washington team, so maybe, as I think you're suggesting, it should go back to last year's MON Franchise ID...

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    There is really no reason for the Expos to have a
                    franchise ID of WAS, or anything other than MON. The
                    Nationals should also be MON. Mike Jefferson can
                    change his name to Mike Danton, or Juan Gonzalez can
                    change it to Juan Uribe, or Janet Jones can change it
                    to Janet Gretzky, and their IDs should *never* change.
                    A key is used to uniquely identify something. As a
                    bonus, it *may* give secondary information.

                    Tom

                    === message truncated ===

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com
                  • John Walsh
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                      My own interpretation is that the public releases appear at www.baseball1.com and anything else found at baseball-databank.org is "experimental".

                      FWIW, I too downloaded the August 2005 release and after seeing that the structure was so drastically changed and that all my scripts would require major rework, I decided to wait until something more official came out. Luckily, the latest release is backwards-compatible with earlier versions.

                       -John Walsh

                      <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                      Major
                      > > league baseball
                      umpires< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw >
                      Baseball

                      > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                      > >

                      > >  ------------------------------
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Sincerely,
                      > Sean Forman
                      >
                      > Baseball Stats!   http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/

                      http://www.baseball-databank.org/

                      Mlb baseball Major league baseball Youth baseball
                      Major league baseball ticket Major league baseball umpires Baseball equipment

                    • Tom Timmerman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
                        I noticed that the current release is still missing hbp and sf data
                        in the team file prior to 2000.

                        Tom

                        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "timmermant"