Re: 2005 Files

  • Keith Hemmelman
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 30, 2005
      Sean, a great many thanks for all the work in providing this! With
      the previous "8/2/05" version of the BDB, I had put a some work into
      making an Access database of it that contains a variety of forms,
      queries, and reports. However, with this latest release it appears
      that the format of the files has changed. I had hoped to simply
      import the new CSV files into my database (with minor tweaks) and be
      up and running but with the change in format all the tables, primary
      fields, and relationships in my database are not valid anymore and
      I'll probably have to start over. This is not a problem and I'm very
      thankful for the goldmine of data offered by this project, but I
      thought I would ask if this was intentional to switch away from the
      8/2/05 format and if future CSV file releases will continue to follow
      this format. I know nothing is set in stone and I will work with
      whatever is released. I wished I had more time to develop better
      skills in Access to do even more things with this data (and get them
      done quicker too!) but I was pleased with my Access database and what
      I could do in it and hope to get an updated one working as well.

      Again, thank you for the updated release.

      Keith

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        Keith,

        I apologize but the August 2 release was not a public release in the sense that it was a dramatic departure from the previous structure of the BDB.  I did it more as a proof of concept for admins to see what we might do with numeric keys.  The current release is similar to all of the previous releases and is the style that we will be using for the near-term future.  I apologize again that your work may have been wasted on the August 2 release.

        sean

        forman@b...> wrote:

        > I have uploaded (am uploading) the 2005 files.
        >
        > There is a mysql file and a csv file as well.  I would welcome an
        > access file if and when someone is able to produce one.

        http://www.baseball-databank.org/

        Mlb baseball Major league baseball Youth baseball
        Major league baseball ticket Major league baseball umpires Baseball equipment

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Baseball Stats!   http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/
      • Joseph Adler
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi Sean,

          I'm not sure that I understand what happened here. In August 2005, the
          format of the database was radically changed to a more efficient
          database structure. There was no declaration at the time that this was
          an experimental release. In December 2005, the format of the database
          was changed again.

          I certainly appreciate the work that you (and others) have put into
          building this free database. However, any time that you make a change
          to the structure of the databse, it affects and inconveniences quite a
          few people.

          In the future, I hope that you will consider how changes to the
          structure of the database affect its users.

          -- Joe

          <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

          > Keith,
          >
          > I apologize but the August 2 release was not a public release in the
          sense
          > that it was a dramatic departure from the previous structure of the
          BDB. I
          > did it more as a proof of concept for admins to see what we might do
          with
          > numeric keys. The current release is similar to all of the previous
          > releases and is the style that we will be using for the near-term
          future. I
          > apologize again that your work may have been wasted on the August 2
          release.

          > sean
          >

          > On 12/30/05, Keith Hemmelman <khemmelman@p...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sean, a great many thanks for all the work in providing this! With
          > > the previous "8/2/05" version of the BDB, I had put a some work into
          > > making an Access database of it that contains a variety of forms,
          > > queries, and reports. However, with this latest release it appears
          > > that the format of the files has changed. I had hoped to simply
          > > import the new CSV files into my database (with minor tweaks) and be
          > > up and running but with the change in format all the tables, primary
          > > fields, and relationships in my database are not valid anymore and
          > > I'll probably have to start over. This is not a problem and I'm very
          > > thankful for the goldmine of data offered by this project, but I
          > > thought I would ask if this was intentional to switch away from the
          > > 8/2/05 format and if future CSV file releases will continue to follow
          > > this format. I know nothing is set in stone and I will work with
          > > whatever is released. I wished I had more time to develop better
          > > skills in Access to do even more things with this data (and get them
          > > done quicker too!) but I was pleased with my Access database and what
          > > I could do in it and hope to get an updated one working as well.
          > >
          > > Again, thank you for the updated release.
          > >
          > > Keith
          > >
          > > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-
          > > forman@b...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have uploaded (am uploading) the 2005 files.
          > > >
          > > > There is a mysql file and a csv file as well. I would welcome an
          > > > access file if and when someone is able to produce one.
          > > >

          > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

          > > Mlb
          baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
          Major
          > > league
          baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-0c9Htcsr5rVw>
          Youth

          Major
          > > league baseball
          ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHnfgf0TzWuA>
          Major
          > > league baseball
          umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw>
          Baseball

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
            OK, we're good on Team ID, but....

            For Franchise ID, WAS 2005 has a Franchise ID of WSN.

            WSN 1893-1899 has a Franchise ID of WAS.

            I'm thinking it makes sense possibly to swap these two? Or does that
            cause a problem?

            Reference.com/<http://www.baseball-reference.com/>

            > > ------------------------------
            > > Yahoo!
            DSL<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://prom
            o.yahoo.com/broadband/+%0A>Something to write home about. Just
            $16.99/mo. or less

            > > http://www.baseball-databank.org/

            t=ms&k=Mlb+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+
            baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpi
            res&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=S_UzYM8EIBawBzPFe-AFaQ>
            Major
            > > league baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&
            w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+base
            ball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=qDp8MdfRO-
            0c9Htcsr5rVw> Youth
            > > baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Youth+baseball&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Yout
            h+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+um
            pires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=TUp6sYQUjPDHf0VpUUDemA>
            Major
            > > league baseball ticket<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+ba
            seball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+leag
            ue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=yetyft4Z3KwHn
            fgf0TzWuA> Major
            > > league baseball umpires<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+b
            aseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+lea
            gue+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsf
            vTWw_EOhvw> Baseball
            > > equipment<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Baseball+equipment&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=
            Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+basebal
            l+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=fL5DNCFQAtlKUwH3fAUETw>

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              It's my understanding that the "official" database is the one
              released after the season, usually in December of each year.

              The database just released had the same format/structure as the one
              released in December of 2004, which is what made it easy for me to
              create the 2005 MS Access version.

              The August 2005 files were I thought a "proposed future structure"
              using the 2004 data. It was I believe posted to solicit comments on
              the structure, as opposed to being an actual "new release" of the
              database.

              --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Adler"

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                Uhhh... I haven't looked at the database yet, but the
                Franchise ID of Washington should MON, no?

                If the franchise ID of 93-99 is WAS, that shouldn't
                change. There is, with very few, if any, exceptions,
                no reason for a key change. If key changes are deemed
                necessary, everyone and his grandmother need to be
                notified.

                Tom

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Keith Hemmelman
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Thank you for the reply Sean. It's certainly not the end of the
                  world for me to start over due to the format change. It generally
                  takes me a little longer than someone else with more skills in
                  Access than I have, but I'll work through it and I'm happy to have
                  the data you provide regardless of the structure. I'll plan on the
                  current format as the format of the future and if it changes, then
                  I'll try and follow!

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                    I was expecting MON also for the Expos/Nationals franchise, but it is WSN, not MON.

                    MON or WAS would be OK with me, but WAS is of course taken as of now by the 1890's Washington team, so maybe, as I think you're suggesting, it should go back to last year's MON Franchise ID...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                      There is really no reason for the Expos to have a
                      franchise ID of WAS, or anything other than MON. The
                      Nationals should also be MON. Mike Jefferson can
                      change his name to Mike Danton, or Juan Gonzalez can
                      change it to Juan Uribe, or Janet Jones can change it
                      to Janet Gretzky, and their IDs should *never* change.
                      A key is used to uniquely identify something. As a
                      bonus, it *may* give secondary information.

                      Tom

                      === message truncated ===

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • John Walsh
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                        My own interpretation is that the public releases appear at www.baseball1.com and anything else found at baseball-databank.org is "experimental".

                        FWIW, I too downloaded the August 2005 release and after seeing that the structure was so drastically changed and that all my scripts would require major rework, I decided to wait until something more official came out. Luckily, the latest release is backwards-compatible with earlier versions.

                         -John Walsh

                        <sean-forman@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                        Major
                        > > league baseball
                        umpires< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w1=Mlb+baseball&w2=Major+league+baseball&w3=Youth+baseball&w4=Major+league+baseball+ticket&w5=Major+league+baseball+umpires&w6=Baseball+equipment&c=6&s=158&.sig=6bOlSvJneXsfvTWw_EOhvw >
                        Baseball

                        > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                        > >

                        > >  ------------------------------
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Sincerely,
                        > Sean Forman
                        >
                        > Baseball Stats!   http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/

                        http://www.baseball-databank.org/

                        Mlb baseball Major league baseball Youth baseball
                        Major league baseball ticket Major league baseball umpires Baseball equipment

                      • Tom Timmerman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
                          I noticed that the current release is still missing hbp and sf data
                          in the team file prior to 2000.

                          Tom

                          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "timmermant"