Re: [baseball-databank] a few requests for information

  • Jon Fifer
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
      thanks a lot, you've pointed me to some resources I hadn't been aware of

      Jon

      KJOK <kjokbaseball@...> wrote:
      I'll answer the data questions I know the most about - others are more expert about the technical questions:

      "Can anyone point me to comprehensive minor league, independent
      league, Japanese league, Mexican league, and, in as far as they
      exist, Negro league stats? Also, has anyone gone about working out
      the MLEs (more precisely, the formulas) for these leagues in any
      comprehensive way?

      Is there any effort to include Win Shares data, contentious though
      it may be, in any database?"

      There are not, to my knowledge comprehensive minor league or independent league stats available in dataset form.  SABR (http://www.sabr.org/) has been working on compiling minor league stats for awhile, but the project seems to be moving very slowly.

      Some of the older Mexican League seasons have been compiled by individual researchers, and are available in various books.

      Japanese League - Michael Westbay of this list, and Michael Eng also I believe, have Japanese League databases, at least for seasons from early 1990's forward.  Jim Albright may also have Japanese Data, plus there is on-line historical data here: http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/

      Negro League Data hash been gathered by The Negro League Researchers and Authors Group ( http://www.outoftheshadows.net/ ), which is supposed to be published in the next 12 to 18 months, plus individual researchers have data sets for some particular years (1928, 1921, 1922 I think, plus some others).

      I have some MLE spreadsheets that I'm still playing around with to perfect, that in theory should create reasonable MLE's for Japanese Leagues, Negro Leagues, etc.

      Studes at the Hardball Times (http://www.hardballtimes.com/) has created a complete historical Win Shares Database.

      THANKS,
      Kevin Johnson

      Jon <jon_fifer@...> wrote:
      hello there
      I've been lurking here for a few months; I'm not sure that I have
      much to offer this enterprise except perhaps data entry, but I do
      have a few questions about the database, and about data in general.

      I note that the database is (will be?) available in MS Access
      format, as well as text. As a Mac user, how difficult would it be to
      build from scratch the relationships in Filemaker Pro, or even
      MySQL? Is it possible to export from MS Access in a format that
      would save me some time, or might it simply be worth running Virtual
      PC instead? Anyone have any Filemaker or MySQL programming
      tips/resources?

      Can anyone point me to comprehensive minor league, independent
      league, Japanese league, Mexican league, and, in as far as they
      exist, Negro league stats? Also, has anyone gone about working out
      the MLEs (more precisely, the formulas) for these leagues in any
      comprehensive way?

      Is there any effort to include Win Shares data, contentious though
      it may be, in any database? This is a project I would be willing to
      do some grunt work on. Does this data exist anywhere besides the
      STATS locked PDFs?

      Any insight on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

      Jon Fifer
      jon_fifer@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jon Fifer
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
        thanks for the info, I hadn't realized the .sql were available. I'll play with them and see what I come up with. As for maintaining a Filemaker Pro version, that's something I'd definitely be interested in working on, if only to have a real project on which to hone my Filemaker programming/DBA skills. It'd be nice to have something produced in a robust environment such as Filemaker Pro. I've imported the CSVs into Excel and built linked spreadsheets, but that's klugey, and time and space intensive.

        Jon

        Derek Adair <dadair@...> wrote:
        On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jon wrote:

        > hello there
        > I've been lurking here for a few months; I'm not sure that I have
        > much to offer this enterprise except perhaps data entry, but I do
        > have a few questions about the database, and about data in general.
        >
        > I note that the database is (will be?) available in MS Access
        > format, as well as text. As a Mac user, how difficult would it be to
        > build from scratch the relationships in Filemaker Pro, or even
        > MySQL? Is it possible to export from MS Access in a format that
        > would save me some time, or might it simply be worth running Virtual
        > PC instead? Anyone have any Filemaker or MySQL programming
        > tips/resources?

        To follow up KJOK's informative e-mail on the data side, I'll answer this
        technical question. I believe a set of .sql files is on the databank site
        that can be imported into MySQL. I'm at work now, so I can't verify the
        current state of the site, but they've ben there for a while.

        If you import them, you will likely get a few warnings. One of the things
        I hope to do soon is clean that up a bit as well as provide some database
        creation scripts for postgres, since that's what we're currently using to
        store the data on the admin side.

        As for Filemaker Pro, there are no plans that I know of to set up an
        importable version for that database, beyond the CSV (which as you pointed
        out, doesn't establish relationships). We get this type of request from
        time to time, with someone's preferred DB flavor. I think the admin
        created set has to be pretty small, since each format requires both
        upfront time and maintenance time going forward. What I usually suggest is
        that if you really want to see a certain version that we don't produce,
        put it together and agree to maintain it. I'm sure Sean F. would be happy
        to link to it so others can take advantage of that work. If you need help
        from us in that creation or maintenance, we'd be happy to consult.

        If a specific format gets popular enough, we can look at adding it to the
        "official" set, but truly, there wouldn't be much if any difference
        between that and one well-supported by an individual contributor.

        Regards,
        Derek

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Jon Fifer
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
          thanks for the info, I hadn't realized the .sql files were available. And thanks for pointing me to the Japanese data, I'll play with the CSV files for now

          Jon

          Michael Westbay <westbaystars@...> wrote:
          Jon wrote:

          > [...] As a Mac user, how difficult would it be to
          > build from scratch the relationships in Filemaker Pro, or even
          > MySQL?

          The latest MySQL build is available from:

               http://www.baseball-databank.org/

          However, that version is from August of 2005.  The newer version is
          being kept in PostgreSQL format, but I don't know where you can get a
          dump of it yet.  (PostgreSQL is also available on the Mac via Fink.)

          > Can anyone point me to comprehensive ... Japanese league... stats?

          That's my area of expertise.  My bilingual data is available in CSV
          format at:

               http://www.japanesebaseball.com/data/indexProYakyu.jsp

          And Eng-san's data is similarly available at:

               http://www.japanesebaseball.com/data/indexJBD.jsp

          Eng-san's data is not his latest, so you may want to contact him
          directly.  My data is all in MySQL format, so I can make a quick dump of
          it and send it to you directly if you like.

          2006 is the year I seriously hope to integrate my data with the trunk BDB.

          Hope this helps.

          --
          Michael Westbay
          Writer/System Administrator