2005 Data

  • Holmes, Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
      As part of a relaunch to my website, I plan to have the 2005 data. I've
      actually entered a lot of it myself, primarily the new debut players for
      2005. But given Tom's response that we can grab it from MLB.com, I'm
      interested in how that might be done.

      Dan Holmes
      www.thebaseballpage.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
        1 - use a "download manager" (which you can find at
        www.download.com) to download all the html files you
        need. (The URLs have some pattern in them, so it's
        pretty easy to generate the 30 URLs you need.)

        2 - write a script (perl, Java, C, whatever) to read
        each line, and extract the lines you need

        That's it.

        ***

        If you want, you can even merge the two into one step.
        Have a Perl script download the file, and process
        each line. One of the members of this group does
        this.

        Tom

        --- "Holmes, Dan" <dholmes@...>

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          Steve Moyer of BaseballInfoSolutions has graciously allowed the
          Baseball-Databank to use its copy of the 2005 stats in the 2005 season
          update. I will be producing a download of these stats for review in
          the next few days.

          Steve and Bill James work together to put out the 2006 Bill James
          Baseball Handbook if you want a hardcopy version of the stats and much
          more this is an excellent book at a great price. I have a complete
          run of this book for the last 11 years.

          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879462965/

        • Keith Hemmelman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
            This is great news Sean. I agree about the book. I have it sitting
            in front of me right now. I've bought them all too and they're well
            worth the price. My wife thinks they're an odd thing to collect,
            but I just can't help myself.

            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-