Re: Hello there!

  • nacc_whatever
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
      Tom,

      I think that's a good idea. I realise I was stretching with the idea
      of making the schema database "agnostic". Derek correctly pointed out
      that making it agnostic would be more of a challenge than it's worth.
      For example, the MySQL attribute "AUTO INCREMENT" is applied
      (usually) to an integer. It's Postgres equivalent is the serial
      datatype. The Sybase Transact-SQL equivalent is the identity
      datatype. In the case of Postgres, the serial datatype is an integer
      implemented with a sequence, while Sybase uses a numeric datatype,
      although it is declared as "Identity" for column definition purposes.

      I do like the idea of providing a csv file that has somewhat generic
      table names, field names, datatypes, and other information. It's a
      "psuedo code" sort of way to publish. Then people can write their own
      scripts to generate DDL for thier database of choice. Then with
      approval, these scripts could be made available to those who want
      them.

      I do realize that some database specific structure files will have to
      be published. Not everybody is going to be willing to script for the
      databaes they want to use.

      -Jim

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Tangotiger <tangotiger@y...>
      wrote:
      > Nacc,
      >
      > Ok, that clears it up. In that case, to make
      > something "agnostic", you really need to have a
      > standard that is agnostic. The best way to do this is
      > to provide a csv file of the field and data types, and
      > then write a program to generate the CREATE TABLE ddl.
      > So, something like this:

      tablename,fieldSeqNum,fieldName,dataType,length,nu
      llAllowed,defaultValue,whateverElse