Hello there!

  • nacc_whatever
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      I've been fascinated with the whole idea about a publically available
      database of baseball information when I happened upon the BDB. Looks
      like a worthwhile project you have going here.

      I've done some searching of the messages posted here, and was unable
      to come up with an answer to a question I had. Has the BDB been
      published in PostgreSQL format yet? I'll use MySQL if I have to,
      however I use Postgres in my work environment and that's what I'm
      comfortable with. I see that there has been mention of using Postgres
      for managing the data. Just wondering if you were going to make the
      Postgres schema availble publically.

      -Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
        The files are available in text format, as well as
        having the create table in sql form.

        I don't think we should be publishing the dump files
        in MySQL, Postregre, Oracle, SQL Server, or what have
        you, but I guess this is another item for the board to
        discuss.

        Tom

        --- nacc_whatever <jkreuzig@...> wrote:

        > I've been fascinated with the whole idea about a
        > publically available
        > database of baseball information when I happened
        > upon the BDB. Looks
        > like a worthwhile project you have going here.
        >
        > I've done some searching of the messages posted
        > here, and was unable
        > to come up with an answer to a question I had. Has
        > the BDB been
        > published in PostgreSQL format yet? I'll use MySQL
        > if I have to,
        > however I use Postgres in my work environment and
        > that's what I'm
        > comfortable with. I see that there has been mention
        > of using Postgres
        > for managing the data. Just wondering if you were
        > going to make the
        > Postgres schema availble publically.
        >
        > -Jim

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • nacc_whatever
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
          I'm not advocating having dump files published for all the various
          platforms you mentioned. I was asking if the schema (the structure)
          was going to be published in different forms. Looking at the files
          availble, the table INSERT statements meet the SQL standard, but the
          CREATE TABLE sql is MySQL dependant. While I could convert it to be
          used on Postgres, I was wondering if that was in the plans or already
          done.

          I don't have a problem taking the formated text data files and
          inserting them into a database, even without the INSERT statements. I
          was wondering if the CREATE TABLE statements (database structure) was
          going to be provided in a more database agnostic form. Currently,
          they are provided in MySQL format.

          I hope that clears up my inquiry.

          -Jim

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Tangotiger <tangotiger@y...>
          wrote:
          > The files are available in text format, as well as
          > having the create table in sql form.
          >
          > I don't think we should be publishing the dump files
          > in MySQL, Postregre, Oracle, SQL Server, or what have
          > you, but I guess this is another item for the board to
          > discuss.
          >
          > Tom
          >
          > --- nacc_whatever <jkreuzig@g...> wrote:
          >
          > > I've been fascinated with the whole idea about a
          > > publically available
          > > database of baseball information when I happened
          > > upon the BDB. Looks
          > > like a worthwhile project you have going here.
          > >
          > > I've done some searching of the messages posted
          > > here, and was unable
          > > to come up with an answer to a question I had. Has
          > > the BDB been
          > > published in PostgreSQL format yet? I'll use MySQL
          > > if I have to,
          > > however I use Postgres in my work environment and
          > > that's what I'm
          > > comfortable with. I see that there has been mention
          > > of using Postgres
          > > for managing the data. Just wondering if you were
          > > going to make the
          > > Postgres schema availble publically.
          > >
          > > -Jim
          > >

          > __________________________________
          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Derek Adair
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
            On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, nacc_whatever wrote:

            > I'm not advocating having dump files published for all the various
            > platforms you mentioned. I was asking if the schema (the structure)
            > was going to be published in different forms. Looking at the files
            > availble, the table INSERT statements meet the SQL standard, but the
            > CREATE TABLE sql is MySQL dependant. While I could convert it to be
            > used on Postgres, I was wondering if that was in the plans or already
            > done.
            >
            > I don't have a problem taking the formated text data files and
            > inserting them into a database, even without the INSERT statements. I
            > was wondering if the CREATE TABLE statements (database structure) was
            > going to be provided in a more database agnostic form. Currently,
            > they are provided in MySQL format.
            >
            > I hope that clears up my inquiry.

            I believe it's very likely we'll be producing structure statements ready
            for import into Postgres with the direction we're heading. That said, if
            someone else on the list is already importing data into Postgres, and has
            their statements available, it would be of benefit to the group.

            On the more general point that was raised, regarding supporting other
            databases, I'm not sure it's possible to provide the structure in a
            "database agnostic form." I'd be all ears if people have ideas here, but
            with the differences in datatypes alone, I imagine it woulde be quite a
            hurdle.

            I believe we'll likely actively support a couple of different import types
            (MySQL and Postgres, if I had to guess), but that clearly doesn't stop
            anyone else from submitting import files they've created (and hopefully
            updating them as well).

            Regards,
            Derek
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
              Nacc,

              Ok, that clears it up. In that case, to make
              something "agnostic", you really need to have a
              standard that is agnostic. The best way to do this is
              to provide a csv file of the field and data types, and
              then write a program to generate the CREATE TABLE ddl.
              So, something like this:
              tablename,fieldSeqNum,fieldName,dataType,length,nullAllowed,defaultValue,whateverElse

              Then, the various Oracle, MySQL, Postgresql, etc
              developers can write a rather simple perl or sql
              script to generate the CREATE TABLE. The benefit is
              that as the tables get modified, you don't have to
              worry about recoding anything.

              You come up with the various "agnostic" datatypes, and
              each developer comes up with the translation to their
              platform.

              Tom

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • nacc_whatever
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
                Tom,

                I think that's a good idea. I realise I was stretching with the idea
                of making the schema database "agnostic". Derek correctly pointed out
                that making it agnostic would be more of a challenge than it's worth.
                For example, the MySQL attribute "AUTO INCREMENT" is applied
                (usually) to an integer. It's Postgres equivalent is the serial
                datatype. The Sybase Transact-SQL equivalent is the identity
                datatype. In the case of Postgres, the serial datatype is an integer
                implemented with a sequence, while Sybase uses a numeric datatype,
                although it is declared as "Identity" for column definition purposes.

                I do like the idea of providing a csv file that has somewhat generic
                table names, field names, datatypes, and other information. It's a
                "psuedo code" sort of way to publish. Then people can write their own
                scripts to generate DDL for thier database of choice. Then with
                approval, these scripts could be made available to those who want
                them.

                I do realize that some database specific structure files will have to
                be published. Not everybody is going to be willing to script for the
                databaes they want to use.