Re: [baseball-databank] BDB License

  • westbaystars
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2005
      To my comment:

      Tangotiger wrote:

      > This is a scary proposition, if I read it a certain
      > way.
      >
      > First of all, data that is public domain cannot even
      > be copyrighted. I don't see how it can be subject to
      > a "use licence". [...]
      >
      > Therefore, asking that the source code for a product
      > that uses this data to be donated is bothersome.

      That was not my intent. It would be nice if those who wrote logic to
      use the data were to GPL their applications, but by no means a
      necessity. A dream of a utopian world where everyone cooperates and
      helps each other, building off of each others' works, as computer
      science was taught back before "Intellectual Property" became more
      important than functionality, correctness, and usefulness.

      Then Forman-san wrote:

      > What I was thinking was more the case where someone matches the
      > BDB with data on GM's or umpires and provides that data elsewhere. I
      > believe they should then have to contribute back the GM or umpire
      > data.
      > This may be untenable legally, but I think it should be the goal.

      I'm in full agreement. As Tangotiger pointed out, data is not
      copyrightable. But I am under the impression that it can be subject
      to an EULA (End User License Agreement). It's been a trend in the
      entertainment and software industries of late to have the EULA
      restrict use beyond what copyright normally allows. This is a major
      reason why I will not use *any* Microsoft file formats, I don't agree
      with the restrictions that they put on them. For that reason, the
      EULA for the BBDB needs to be the opposite of these trends, i.e.
      enabling end users to build on the data for their needs, not
      restricting people's ability from using and profiting from the BBDB,
      while still insuring the continued evolution and accumulation of data.

      What needs to be done to make the EULA effective? I a click-through
      confirmation before downloading necessary? I don't know. And it
      seems like requiring distributors to have click-through downloads
      would only hinder the spread of the BBDB, which is not what I think
      we want.

      --
      Michael Westbay
      Writer/System Administrator