Re: [baseball-databank] BDB Status

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
      Paul Wendt wrote:
      > Theodore Turocy <drarbiter@...> wrote:
      >
      > > On 7/18/05, Tangotiger <tangotiger@...> wrote:
      > >> Ted, how about changing your focus, maybe 90
      > degrees
      >
      > That's a perspective not a focus, but Ted asked for
      > it.
      >
      > > So long as I can get my CSV, it's easy for me to do
      > > what I want with my favourite tools.
      >
      > I suspect that if the DBMS-embodied data is official,
      > there will be times when the derived CSV tables are
      > available only to someone who derives them. But it's
      > possible to set up a site that "mirrors" (wrong word)
      > the DBMS tables.
      >
      > A related issue is what bbdb should do with data files
      > in the yahoo group space. The simplest structure that
      > does what I have in mind is a single highest-level
      > folder with name and description something like this.
      >
      > Data Now in the Database
      > The content of these files has been incorporated in
      > the [name] database and an official edition is now
      > maintained there.
      >
      > Paul Wendt

      This isn't quite what I had in mind. I would say that the maintenance
      and storage of the data would be done in the DBMS. The data would then
      be available in primarily plain-text csv, and then any dbms formats that
      someone wants to provide a script for creating.

      So on baseball-databank.org would be.

      BDB version 2005.12.14
      --Zipped plain text (1MB) (only one guaranteed)
      --MySQL format
      --PostgreSQL format
      --Oracel format
      --Access format

      I think that if we plan on having the admin voting procedure and
      allowing admins write access to the data having a dbms gateway is the
      proper way to go.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
        Sean Forman <sean-forman@...> wrote

        > I would say
        > that the maintenance and storage of the data would
        > be done in the DBMS. The data would then
        > be available in primarily plain-text csv, and then
        > any dbms formats that someone wants to provide a
        > script for creating.
        >
        > So on baseball-databank.org would be.
        >
        > BDB version 2005.12.14
        > --Zipped plain text (1MB) (only one guaranteed)
        . . .

        and in reply to Ted Turocy:

        > All table versions will be dumped into a plain-text
        > format csv format.

        OK. I didn't understand that.
        My remaining concern regarding baseball-databank is
        that data not yet utilized in the database should be
        distinguishable in some way. Perhaps it should be
        available in the Yahoo Groups space only (which is
        actually what I had presumed).

        Paul Wendt

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
          > > All table versions will be dumped into a plain-text
          > > format csv format.
          >
          > OK. I didn't understand that.
          > My remaining concern regarding baseball-databank is
          > that data not yet utilized in the database should be
          > distinguishable in some way. Perhaps it should be
          > available in the Yahoo Groups space only (which is
          > actually what I had presumed).
          >
          > Paul Wendt

          Well, I'm hoping that the turnaround on new data will drop from two
          years to two months, but yes, there should be someplace where it can be
          reviewed and tested.