Re: [baseball-databank] ADMIN: BDB decision making process

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
      Tangotiger wrote:
      > I think this is a good idea. A couple of things come
      > to mind:
      >
      > 1 - Is this something that is up to debate, and
      > therefore, it's a little early to ask for nominations?
      > Or, should we just go for it? Personally, I think we
      > should go for it, but there should be room for others
      > to put in their ideas as well.

      I would love to have some debate for this. I certainly wasn't calling
      for nominations. I was just proposing a method to the madness.

      > 2 - 7 is better than 5, since this is a volunteer
      > group, and we're not always around. If you are only
      > 5, they'll be situations when only 2 or 3 people are
      > available.

      > 4 - I'm always concerned about conflicts of interest.
      > Conflict of interest also means that the appearance of
      > such should not exist.

      > For example, almost everyone nominated has their own
      > proprietary work somehow involved. Decisions could be
      > made that negatively affects them, but is for the
      > greater good. I'm not saying that people on the board
      > will act with selfish motives (or with selfless
      > motives), but, this is something that should be
      > addressed up-front, so that this doesn't become an
      > issue.
      >
      > Tom

      I agree, the proprietary issue should probably be the first issue dealt
      with. Deciding upon a license and giving people of the option of
      pulling out their work if it isn't acceptable might be the best way to
      go. Then we start from that point and go forward for with a clear
      conscience.

    • westbaystars
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2005
        Regarding Sean Forman's structural proposal:

        First off, I think that this is a great idea. The work I've been
        doing with the next generation BDB has tailed off greatly since the
        season began. I had imagined more interaction with the design
        process and think that these administrative changes may help get more
        feedback and something going. I support the proposal with 7
        technical leads.

        I think that everyone on the mailing list qualifies as non-technical
        personnel. Non-technical issues (data integrity is how I'm
        understanding that position) should require at least one other
        researcher to confirm the data. If there are any conflicts, they
        should be brought up on the list (which is similar to how it works now).

        If it's accountability that we want with the non-technical members,
        then it would really have to be based on expertise. KJOK has proven
        to be knowledgeable in pretty much all fields, and would be a very
        good person to check off the data for final approval. I would then
        like to see those with experience in different areas (and/or eras) be
        non-technical leads for them, also with final approval authority.
        The only safeguard that should be in place is that one may not stamp
        off one's own contributions.

        I think that leaders in various fields will slowly emerge from the
        mailing list as things come up. It's hard to take a top-down
        approach (assign people to a post) to this part of the structure. A
        bottom-up approach where people take responsibility where needed
        seems best.

        Second, I accept nomination, and am flattered to be nominated despite
        the lack of work on this lately. I think that more interaction in
        the administrative process will help push me to work more.

        Third, I second the other nominations made for technical leads. The
        Baseball-Databank *is* the two Seans. Tangotiger has been the most
        supportive of the work I've been doing on the next version, and has
        come up with a number of great suggestions, as has KJOK. Wendt-san
        has challenged me to think on a number of occasions, and would also
        make a great member. He's also well in touch with the various SABR
        committees and can act as liaison with them to assure that the BDB
        doesn't go astray from common research goals. Derek Adair has
        brought up a number of issues with the proposed solutions as well,
        and would make a good technical lead. I think that covers everybody
        so far, making six.

        ---
        Michael Westbay
        Writer/System Administrator
        http://JapaneseBaseball.com
        Public Key: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/keys/westbaystars.gpgkey
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2005
          I also want to make some clarificiations for my proposal. Anyone will
          be able to propose changes/corrections to the db. The board will just
          decide whether or not to include it into the db.

          They will need to make a reasoned argument as to why to make the change,
          but it is not like the the board that I am proposing are the ones doing
          all the work and bottling up things that they don't want to see done.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2005
            I'll also nominate Michael M, and Mike Crain.

            As well, we should consider the board to not
            necessarily be the same people. One board for data
            quality and another for data structure. Possibly have
            4 on both, with 3 separate on each (for a total of
            10). This'll be useful for the eventual turnover (or
            vacations), as the single-board members can fill in on
            the other. Of, if you want to keep each board as 5
            people, make it 3 duals, and 2 singles (for a total of
            7).

            Tom

            --- Sean Forman <sean-forman@...>
            wrote:

            > I also want to make some clarificiations for my
            > proposal. Anyone will
            > be able to propose changes/corrections to the db.
            > The board will just
            > decide whether or not to include it into the db.
            >
            > They will need to make a reasoned argument as to why
            > to make the change,
            > but it is not like the the board that I am proposing
            > are the ones doing
            > all the work and bottling up things that they don't
            > want to see done.
            >
            > --
            > Sincerely,
            > Sean Forman
            >
            > Baseball Stats! http://www.Baseball-Reference.com/

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
          • Chris Long
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
              I'd be quite interested in participating in this process.
              I'm a mathematician and statistician who works for the Padres,
              and I use PostgreSQL and Linux daily.

              Building a comprehensive baseball database is non-trivial,
              and my experience in doing so with the Padres might be
              helpful.

              -Chris Long