Re: [baseball-databank] LF-CF-RF missing from FieldingOF

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      On Tue, 31 May 2005, Paul Wendt wrote:

      > Joining the Fielding and FieldingOF tables in lahman52, I find 36 stints
      > with OF data but no LF-CF-RF data in FieldingOF. There may also be a
      > problem re Kowalik and the last class of 31 (below) at retrosheet.
      . . .
      > The other 31 problem stints are for primary pitchers most of whom played
      > fewer than 8 OF games.

      Another pattern is clear. Too bad I must race for a bus yesterday.
      The "other 31" ordered by player-team-stint:

      (tab delimited, for ASCII readers)
      playerID yearID stint LF CF RF OF P PS
      whitewi01 1882 1 2 54 54
      whitewi01 1880 1 3 62 62
      whitrbi01 1890 1 1 16 11
      whitrbi01 1894 2 7 10 8
      wickebo01 1902 1 3 22 16
      wickebo01 1904 1 20 30 27
      wickebo01 1905 1 3 22 22
      widnewi01 1888 1 2 13 13
      widnewi01 1889 1 1 41 34
      wilheka01 1903 1 1 12 9
      wilheka01 1905 1 4 34 27
      willeed01 1909 1 1 41 34
      willeed01 1910 1 1 37 25
      willile03 1926 1 1 8 0
      willipo01 1903 3 2 10 10
      willipo01 1902 1 6 31 31
      willito01 1892 1 1 2 1
      willito01 1893 1 3 5 2
      wilsohi01 1903 1 1 30 28
      wilsoze01 1897 1 2 34 30
      wilsoze01 1898 1 3 33 31
      wiltsho01 1905 1 1 32 19
      wiltsho01 1906 1 2 38 26
      wiltsho01 1904 1 1 24 16
      wiltsho01 1907 1 1 33 21
      wiltssn01 1902 2 4 19 18
      wingaer01 1925 1 1 32 18
      wingaer01 1926 1 2 39 16
      wisebi01 1886 1 1 1 1
      wisebi01 1882 1 2 3 3
      wisebi01 1884 1 43 50 41

      It appears that a segment of pitcher-outfielders defined partly by
      lastname was lost or overlooked.

      > Several, maybe all, are missing from the TB6 and BBE batting registers.
      > Retrosheet shows 0-0-0 games for Will White
      > http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pwhitw103.htm
      > but I wonder whether LF-CF-RF data is *missing* (by clerical error)
      > rather than zero. That is, I am not sure that the latterday LF-CF-RF
      > data-gathering project found zero outfield games for White, as his
      > Retrosheet fielding table suggests.

      I checked the Wicker and Wise whose seven P-OF stints include two with
      20 and 43 OF games played.
      http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pwickb101.htm
      http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pwiseb101.htm
      Yes, I think the zeroes at Retrosheet represent missing data.

      Paul Wendt