nulls - what has been checked?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      Dave Kent, thanks for answering my question about the "null to zero"
      version of addition.

      Re the particular example, plate appearances, it occurred to me that we
      may have all the data necessary to calculate rather than estimate PA,
      except for interference and obstruction. That is, the null values for PA
      components AB(none), BB(none), HBP, SH, SF may represent not missing data
      but league-seasons in which the scoring category did not exist.

      In MS Access lahman52, I looked at the records where HBP is null. I found
      the subset for seasons before the hit batsman rule, ten 2004 records, and
      one 1916 record --the first of three 1916 stints for Earl Hamilton,
      hamilea01
      (That stint is not listed on the baseball-reference webpage.)

      I don't know whether these stray nulls have been corrected in the databank.

      The general question is, have we thoroughly checked the incidence of nulls
      in the databank?

      Paul Wendt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        On Sun, 1 May 2005, Paul Wendt wrote:

        > In MS Access lahman52, I looked at the records where HBP is null. I found
        > the subset for seasons before the hit batsman rule, ten 2004 records, and one
        > 1916 record --the first of three 1916 stints for Earl Hamilton,
        > hamilea01
        > (That stint is not listed on the baseball-reference webpage.)

        Pete Palmer's list of 47 returns to team is available on the web.
        http://world.std.com/~pgw/19c/return.to.team.html

        I covered it in a 19c Cmte newsletter, maybe didn't mention it here.
        It provides another point of reference for checking the batting, pitching
        and fielding tables (although some stints may correctly be missing from
        some tables).

        Within MS Access lahman52, I checked returns to team in the Batting and
        Fielding tables. The "returns" by Darren Holmes 2000 and Ed Sprague 2000
        are missing from that MS Access ed. and from baseball-reference.

        Those happen to be the last two returns on the Palmer list linked above
        --although that will change when I add two more recent instances.
        playerID yearID teamID NPOS
        clarkje02 2003 TEX 2
        huckake01 2004 TEX 1

        Paul Wendt
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2005
          > Pete Palmer's list of 47 returns to team is available on the web.
          > http://world.std.com/~pgw/19c/return.to.team.html
          >
          > I covered it in a 19c Cmte newsletter, maybe didn't mention it here.
          > It provides another point of reference for checking the batting,
          > pitching and fielding tables (although some stints may correctly be
          > missing from some tables).

          I have added Jermaine Clark 2003 and Ken Huckaby 2004, so that is now
          a list of 49 within-season returns to team.

          The "returns" by Darren Holmes 2000 and Ed Sprague 2000 are missing
          from MS Access lahman52 and from baseball-reference. I haven't
          checked the current databank.

          Early Hamilton 1916 is a puzzle to me.
          4 ip in one game pitched.
          No evident plate appearance.
          That implies batting out of order, I think.

          Paul Wendt