Introduction

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005
      Hello,

      I'd just like to introduce myself to this group and offer my time. I
      am a lifelong baseball fan, SQL developer, and stat geek. I've been
      known to spend hours on baseballreference.com just for the fun of it.
      I have just recently learned of the existence of this group and would
      love to contribute in any way, whether it be loading data,
      programming, quality control or otherwise.

      If anyone could give me some direction re: what is needed and what
      would be helpful, I would love to hear it.

      Thanks,

      Gary Cohen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
        Welcome Gary:

        This list needs updating, but I believe it's the last one we have
        regarding "what needs to be done" (numbers are previous message numbers
        in this group):

        ==========================
> [...]
        > Type:
        > (1) Primary Tables
        > ==========================
        > EXTRA DATA
        > 1110
        > 1114
        > 1142-1143
        > 1208
        > (Should be incorporated. Status unknown. Is Derek's XREF for
        > Retro/Player ID updated?)
        >

        > ==========================
        > PRIORITY 4 - Handle Soon
        > Type:
        > (1) Design Issues, normalization, keys
        > (2) XREF to other databases
        > (3) Standards
        > ==========================
        > SIZE OF FIELDS
        > 1213
        > (Try to imrpove sizing of DB.)
        >
        > STINT ID
        > 1196
        > (Use is inconsistent or wrong.)
        >
        > PARKS
        > 1117-1120
        > 1161
        > 1181-1182
        > 1223
        > (Tom/KJOK updated and uploaded. The BDB/TEAMS table should be
        updated
        > so that it references the new PARK ID, and not the Park NAME.)
        >
        > TEAMS / FRANCHISES - XREF to retrosheet
        > 1145-1147
        > 1174-1175
        > 1183-1184

        > 1907-1911
        > (Paul, KJOK reviewing. Discussions to follow. Tom to upload mid-
        > Jan.)
        >

        > DESIGN - leagues - create table
        > 1055-1062
        > 1068-1075
        > 1077-1081
        > (Paul, KJOK, Tom should propose something.)
        >
        > DESIGN - normalization - teams/franchises
        > 1042
        > 1045
        > 1049
        > 1051-1053
        > (Should be implemented, unless more discussions required.)
        >
        > DESIGN - keys - manager table
        > 1043
        > (Should be implemented. This is in ERROR.)
        >
        > DESIGN - keys - lg ID
        > 1044
        > 1048
        > (Should be implemented. This is in ERROR.)
        >
        > Place Names - ISO standards
        > 940
        > 950
        > 952
        > 956
        > 960
        > 967-969
        > (Proposal/resolution required.)
        >

        > ==========================
        > PRIORITY 5 - Handle At Some point
        > Type:
        > (1) Cool add-ons
        > (2) Secondary (tertiary?) data/tables
        > ==========================
        > POSITIONS
        > 1178
        > 1239-1240
        > (Need someone to program the determination of primary positions.
        Tom
        > has uploaded complex query, but it could be improved.)
        >
        > Umpires/HOF/Coaches/Executives/no-hitters
        > 876
        > 879
        > 881
        > 883-886
        > 888-889
        > 891-898
        > 1133
        > 1136-1139
        > 1185
        > 1199-1201
        > (Mike Crain: Umps working on. HOF completed and integrated.
        Coaches
        > near completion. Executives ongoing.)
        > (Derek: working on no-hitters from Mike.)
        >
        > END-USER INTERFACES
        > 1203-1206
        > 1209-1210
        > 1214
        > (Ongoing work by a few individuals.)
        >

        > 19th-century transactions
        > 1224
        > (Mike uploaded.)
        >
        > ==========================
        > PRIORITY 6 - Unknown
        > ==========================
        > INSIDE THE PARK HR
        > 1163
        > (On hold.)
        >
        > MASTER - DOB
        > 1054
        > (No one has stepped forward to handle. Not critical.)
        >
        > Negro League data, Japanese League data, Minor League data,
        Executives

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
          Gary Cohen introduced himself, in part:
          > I've been known to spend hours on
          > baseballreference.com just for the fun of it.

          I always write baseball-reference[.com] with a hyphen
          in order to support basketball-reference by analogy.
          There may be other "references" where Sean F owns they
          hyphenated version only.

          > DESIGN - leagues - create table
          > 1055-1062
          > 1068-1075
          > 1077-1081
          > (Paul, KJOK, Tom should propose something.)

          I am not doing this in real time.

          I look forward to seeing the league data reported in
          the new Encyc of Minor League Baseball and to
          consulting some SABR 19c Cmte members on what to
          gather and how to organize it, for some early leagues
          and associations. I need to do some before August,
          the Annual Convention.

          There is probably a proposal by Michael Westbay that I
          need to master. This gets back to KJOK's remark that
          the list he forwarded to Gary Cohen & all is obsolete.

          Paul Wendt

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 5:20 PM
            Since the list I posted below in response to Gary's original question
            is somewhat out of date, maybe a better way to answer the question is
            to list projects that each one of us IS working on?

            Here's my quick list:

            1. Negro Leagues - Will VERY shortly have the LEAUGE and TEAM Table
            completed, plus the PARKS related tables. After that, will have a
            beginning MASTER file plus possibly some 1928 actual batting,
            pitching and fielding data...

            2. LEAGUES super/master table - This turned out to be a huge
            project. Am about 50% completed, but have been waiting for the new
            Minor Leagues Encyclopedia to come out before continuing (anyone have
            an update on when it will be out?)

            3. TEAMS super/master table - Will follow after the LEAGUES table is
            completed.

            4. SALARIES Table for pre-1985 - Have made good progress on 19th
            century salaries, but still huge gaps from deadball era to 1984. Am
            hopefull that SABR may be releasing some additional data soon...

            5. INJURIES DATABASE - Focusing on years before the disabled list
            came to be routinely used (pre-1960). Project just getting off the
            ground.

            6. JAPANESE DATA - Deferring to Michael Westbay. I do have some
            historical data, primarily on players who played in both MLB and NPB,
            that I need to finish putting in table form.

            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "KJOK" <kjokbaseball@y...>