Re: [baseball-databank] 2004 DATA: Errors?

  • Joel Dinda
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2005
      I want to echo Tom's concern about "Jr.", as it's one of the things I've noticed
      while indexing the Registers. Where I work (a DMV), Jr and its ilk are kept in
      a separate field. That field permits a half-dozen or so similar suffixes--Sr,
      II, III, IV, perhaps others. (International baseball likely complicates the
      issue.) I presume that's where the eventual model (Tango's words) will take us.

      Like Tom, I'm quite certain that only a small portion of the players who were
      known as Junior are shown in these tables. Not something I've kept track of in
      detail, though; just something I can see as I work through my collection of books.

      I'm not so sure, though, that just abandoning the information we already have is
      a good idea. That largely depends on what we expect the followup to be.

      joel

      ps--along these lines: The Registers make a big thing of Bobby Brown doctorate
      (the title's earned, but Taylor Spink's treatment of it is quirky); I'm not
      particularly concerned about that but probably someone is (advanced degrees have
      been a recent discussion topic on SABR-L). Then there's Sir Sidney Ponson....

      Tangotiger wrote:
      [snip]

      > Inconsistency in the use of "Jr." in last name. See:
      > Jerry Hairston, Tim Raines, Cal Ripken . The eventual
      > model will have this right. For the moment, we should
      > stick to one format. I suggest removing all "Jr."
      > from last name. There are very few, which tells me
      > that it's not being used properly.
    • Joel Dinda
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2005
        I see Mike Emeigh also commented:

        > Part of the problem is that some players have dropped the "Jr." - I
        > know Montreal's Tony Armas has, and I think Hairston has done the
        > same thing. Catching all of these is going to be a chore. I agree
        > with Tom here that it's probably best to remove the "Jr.".

        Personally I see this as similar (but not identical) to issues about playing
        names--aliases, legal name changes, even nicknames. People doing research might
        be trying to find a player/person by any version which was ever in use, and I'd
        argue that the database should accommodate that as fully as possible.

        *How* we track it is the real issue, and it's both a research issue and a design
        issue.

        Joel Dinda
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2005
          I won't go into lengthy details here, but essentially
          we'll have a PERSON_NAMES table, along with a field
          called NameType.

          NameType can be, but not limited to, First, Middle1,
          Middle2, Middle3, Last, Nick, Uniform, Boxscore,
          Prefix, Suffix

          Each record will have an "effective date" and
          "termination date".

          Also a note as to whether it is a "legal" or "common"
          name, etc.

          The design itself is very flexible, so anything you
          need can be added in.

          Tom

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250