Re: [baseball-databank] SABR, Committees, and the Databank

  • Bill Burgess
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 12, 2005
      Friends all,

      Bill Burgess here. I have contributed my data in hopes that ALL will have
      assess to it. I am a "pure" reseacher, in that I am looking for no
      compensation, but would hope all the regular sources will use it. Ideally, my
      sports writers index could be included in Total Baseball, BB-Reference, and be
      used as a reference source at the Hall of Fame, SABR, Sporting News, etc.

      I am a researcher. I have no interest in things that are now easily
      available. That is why I included scouts, umpires, announcers, owners,
      managers/coaches, etc. I spend all my time seeking out birth/death dates,
      data in Proquest, Sporting News, etc. I focused on sports writers, since no
      one had done anything on it. I did Baseball Families because no one else had
      ever attempted it. I live to search. It relaxes me as a hobby.

      It is my hope that the "right" people will step up and take charge and work
      with me. I want to keep searching, while others can do whatever in its
      organizing. My sports writers must, of course, at some point, be put into a
      alphabetical order, which will not be hard to do.

      I hope someone duly notifies me, when anyone would like to work with me in any
      aspect of this work. Thank you for your time listening.

      Bill Burgess

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 17, 2005
        Yes.

        For a good article on the effort to gather negro league stats, see:

        http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~96~2587981,00.html

        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "hughesstuart"