Re: 1913 NL CS

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      This is very good data to have!

      I would recommend a comma delimited file with columns:

      LahmanID,Caught Stealing

      that should work as well as anything.

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "cliffordblau"

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        OOps, slight amendment:

        LahmanID, Year, Caught Stealing

        This way the dataset can also capture the 1912 CS data, or any other
        caught stealing data that someone might come across....

        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "KJOK" <kjokbaseball@y...>
        wrote:

        > This is very good data to have!
        >
        > I would recommend a comma delimited file with columns:
        >
        > LahmanID,Caught Stealing
        >
        > that should work as well as anything.
        >
        > THANKS,
        > Kevin
        >

        > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "cliffordblau"
        > <brak2.0@v...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I told Sean F. I came across caught stealing data for the 1913 NL
        in
        > > The Sporting News (12/11/13.) They were compiled by Ernie
        Lanigan.
        > > The Paper of Record for that era is hard to read, so I printed the
        > > table from microfilm, which is also a bit hard to read, but
        legible
        > > think. He suggested I post a note here; that someone on the list
        > > would volunteer to enter them. But I don't see why I couldn't do
        > > that, if someone guides me as far as format.
        > >
        > > Cliff Blau
      • Clifford Blau
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
          Kevin Johnson wrote:
          >This is very good data to have!
          >
          >I would recommend a comma delimited file with columns:
          >
          >LahmanID,Caught Stealing

          As it happens, I have this. The one problem is that the data aren't broken
          up by team for players who were on more than one during the season. Will
          it be useful for people if I add a line for those players, with no team and
          the total CS?

          Cliff Blau
          http://mysite.verizon.net/brak2.0
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
            I was guessing that was the case, which is why I didn't suggest
            TEAMID as a data field.

            I sill think the data would be useful in the format:

            LahmanID, YearID, Caught Stealing

            Most of the salary data isn't separated for players on more than one
            team per year either, but it's still useful data....

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005

              The CS data Cliff Blau discovered is also piecemeal but it is a big piece: all of NL1913, short of integrability with the rest of the database only because there is a league-season (NL1913) record for each player rather than each player-team. I agree with KJ that we should hope to include any piece so large as that here in the yahoo group Files. The answer to Cliff Blau's question is Yes. Whether to integrate it with Batting, and thus with CS data for other league-seasons, is another matter.

              Does anyone know other cases where complete league-season data was published somewhere but was not included in the published official statistics? Can anyone judge whether there will be many discoveries such as Cliff''s?

              Paul Wendt

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Clifford Blau
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2005
                I thought the system generated an automatic announcement. Anyway, I've
                posted the file, called NLCS1913.csv.

                Cliff Blau
                http://mysite.verizon.net/brak2.0
              • emancip8d
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2005
                  I think Al Bridwell's CS was 16, not 18, making his SB% 12/28=.428
                  which is in between the .429 and explains why he is listed between two
                  guys with 3 SB and 4 CS in the sorted-by-SB% TSN listings.

                  You've padded the table with 0's for unlisted players. It's probably
                  a good guess that the unlisted players had 0 SB, but only

                  wiltsho01
                  tesreje01
                  schmibu01
                  sallesl01
                  rudoldi01
                  package01
                  mcleala01
                  mathech01
                  johnsch02
                  jamesbi02
                  howleda01
                  amesre01

                  are specifically listed as having 0 SB. Also,

                  burnsed01
                  hearnbu01
                  stockmi01
                  allismi01
                  beckzi01
                  callawe01
                  dealch01
                  quinnja01
                  reedmi01
                  scheeal01
                  stewatu01
                  walshji01

                  are not listed in TSN but had >0 SB (actually either 1 or 2 SB) during
                  the season.

                  Two discrepancies with the database: maranra01 is in TSN with 27 SB
                  instead of 25 SB; smithre02 is in TSN with 25 SB instead of 22.

                  Another problem is that Cy Seymour is listed twice in TSN, once with 2
                  SB and 1 CS and once with 1 SB and 2 CS. The database shows 2 SB so
                  the second is whose? Jack Quinn, Charlie Deal, Seymour transposed?
                  (Quinn and Deal had 1 SB for Boston, Seymour's 1913 team).
                • cliffordblau
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2005
                    --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "emancip8d" <emancip8d@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > I think Al Bridwell's CS was 16, not 18, making his SB% 12/28=.428
                    > which is in between the .429 and explains why he is listed between two
                    > guys with 3 SB and 4 CS in the sorted-by-SB% TSN listings.
                    I agree; I've fixed the file.

                    > Two discrepancies with the database: maranra01 is in TSN with 27 SB
                    > instead of 25 SB; smithre02 is in TSN with 25 SB instead of 22.
                    I'm sure there are some errors in the CS as well; eventually we'll get
                    those straightened out. I doubt any error is so large that it will
                    cause a problem.

                    Cliff Blau
                  • Bill Burgess
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 9, 2005
                      Just wondering. Will the contribution I made on AL caught stealing for 1913
                      of the top 5 in caught stealing, get included in RR-Ref, Retrosheet, and will
                      they be forwarded to Total Baseball? Just wondering how the system is set up
                      to function.

                      Bill Burgess

                      PS. I also have contributed other databases in sports writers, BB owners,
                      announcers, scouts, umpires, managers/coaches. Mine are not compresensive.
                      They are intended to be added to others to form a foundation. Will they ever
                      see public exposure?