2004 Data - Post-season and Ballpark

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
      Sean:

      You mention 2004 post-season data on your site, but you didn't
      include the post-season tables in the preliminary data, so a couple
      of questions:

      1. Do you already have some way to get the 2004 playoff data once
      the World Series ends? Asking because I THINK I was the person who
      did the 2003 data mostly by hand if I remember correctly.

      2. The post-season tables I created last year included more pitching
      stats plus fielding stats that have never been included on baseball-
      reference.com. Is there a plan to include the additional data this
      year?

      Also, I'm working on updating my ballpark database with 2004 data.
      Are you planning on incorporating that data in with baseball-
      databank/baseball-reference.com data soon?

      THANKS,
      Kevin Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
        KJOK wrote:

        > Sean:
        >
        > You mention 2004 post-season data on your site, but you didn't
        > include the post-season tables in the preliminary data, so a couple
        > of questions:
        >
        > 1. Do you already have some way to get the 2004 playoff data once
        > the World Series ends? Asking because I THINK I was the person who
        > did the 2003 data mostly by hand if I remember correctly.

        No I was just joking on the 2004 data, implying I already had the WS
        data. I would love to work with you on putting this together. I can
        get the pitching and batting pretty easily.

        > 2. The post-season tables I created last year included more pitching
        > stats plus fielding stats that have never been included on baseball-
        > reference.com. Is there a plan to include the additional data this
        > year?

        Yes, at some point, I would like to include it.

        > Also, I'm working on updating my ballpark database with 2004 data.
        > Are you planning on incorporating that data in with baseball-
        > databank/baseball-reference.com data soon?
        >
        > THANKS,
        > Kevin Johnson

        Same with this. I will make it a high priority to put this very
        valuable data into the BDB and then time permitting onto the site.

      • Sean Lahman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2004
          Received a letter from a database end user who said that we have wrong SB
          data for Alex Ochoa in 2000. We show him with 8, but the Palmer/Gillette
          encyclopedia and other sources show him with 9. Unless somebody has a
          different explanation, I think that this should be changed.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
            Sean,

            What is the current SB total for the entire league,
            and how does that match to the MLB "official" totals?
            Are we off by 1? If we are a match, then adding 1 to
            Ochoa means that we need to take one away from someone
            else.

            Tom

            --- Sean Lahman <slahman@...> wrote:

            > Received a letter from a database end user who said
            > that we have wrong SB
            > data for Alex Ochoa in 2000. We show him with 8,
            > but the Palmer/Gillette
            > encyclopedia and other sources show him with 9.
            > Unless somebody has a
            > different explanation, I think that this should be
            > changed.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sean Lahman

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • Sean Lahman
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
              The database currently shows the 2000 Reds with 99 team stolen bases (which
              matches the existing sum of players). The Palmer/Gillette encyclopedia shows
              the Reds with 100 team SB for the season, which leads me to conclude that we
              simply need to update Ochoa and the team total.

              > Tangotiger wrote
              >
              > Sean,
              >
              > What is the current SB total for the entire league,
              > and how does that match to the MLB "official" totals?
              > Are we off by 1? If we are a match, then adding 1 to
              > Ochoa means that we need to take one away from someone
              > else.
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > --- Sean Lahman <slahman@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Received a letter from a database end user who said
              > > that we have wrong SB
              > > data for Alex Ochoa in 2000. We show him with 8,
              > > but the Palmer/Gillette
              > > encyclopedia and other sources show him with 9.
              > > Unless somebody has a
              > > different explanation, I think that this should be
              > > changed.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Sean Lahman

            • Clay Davenport
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
                > Message: 1
                > Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:35:56 -0400
                > From: "Sean Lahman" <slahman@...>
                > Subject: ERROR - 2000 Alex Ochoa
                >
                > Received a letter from a database end user who said that we have wrong SB
                > data for Alex Ochoa in 2000. We show him with 8, but the Palmer/Gillette
                > encyclopedia and other sources show him with 9. Unless somebody has a
                > different explanation, I think that this should be changed.

                It appears to be a common error, as he's listed with 8 SB (and
                Cincinnati with 99) in my stats, on mlb.com, and on espn.com.

                He's listed with 9 in Palmer, retrosheet, and STATS.

                Reviewing Ochoa's games in 2000, using USA Today box scores (generated
                at the time, not afterwards, as retrosheet's are). Box scores list 8
                of his stolen bases. There was no USA Today box score for the game
                where retrosheet says his ninth SB occurred (9/30/00), but the scoring
                report shows him as stealing second while Casey stole third in the
                first inning. Looks like 9, unless there was a scoring dispute on one
                of the plays.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
                  Sean Lahman wrote:
                  > Received a letter from a database end user who said that we have wrong SB
                  > data for Alex Ochoa in 2000. We show him with 8, but the Palmer/Gillette
                  > encyclopedia and other sources show him with 9. Unless somebody has a
                  > different explanation, I think that this should be changed.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sean Lahman

                  I'll make the change.

                • piratefan1@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
                    Clay Davenport wrote:
                    (snip)

                    > Reviewing Ochoa's games in 2000, using USA Today box scores
                    (generated
                    > at the time, not afterwards, as retrosheet's are). Box scores list 8
                    > of his stolen bases. There was no USA Today box score for the game
                    > where retrosheet says his ninth SB occurred (9/30/00), but the
                    scoring
                    > report shows him as stealing second while Casey stole third in the
                    > first inning. Looks like 9, unless there was a scoring dispute on
                    one
                    > of the plays.

                    The NYT box score for the 9/30 game does *not* credit Ochoa with a
                    stolen base; Casey's is credited.

                    I'd be inclined to think that there was a scoring change on this
                    play, that Ochoa was credited with a stolen base at the time the play
                    occurred, but the SB was later taken away after review because Ochoa
                    didn't break until after the throw on Casey's attempt (in which case
                    he'd be credited with advancing on the throw only, not an SB). That
                    would be consistent with the SB appearing in Palmer/Gillette,
                    Retrosheet, and STATS (all of which are derived from the same source)
                    and not appearing on MLB.com and in the NYT box score a day later. I
                    have the TSN guide for 2001 (which has the final official stats) and
                    I'll check it when I get home.

                    Mike Emeigh
                    piratefan1@...
                  • Michael Hurley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
                      I just checked the TSN Guide. It's got 9.