proper names

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2004
      27 Aug 2004, Paul Wendt wrote:
      > By the way, do we have a standard regarding "St.Louis", "St. Louis", etc?

      Not only spaces but abbreviations, eg
      "North Brookfield", "N. Brookfield"
      965 Marty Bergen

      (I don't know whether we are actively maintaining such data or waiting to
      import from the Biographical Research Cmte, SABR.
      Same goes for the non-player vital data and the Carden Gillenwaters.)

      Paul Wendt
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004

        I may be looking at an outdated version of Master.csv, with almost no
        biographical data for the field managers and HOF members who never
        played in the majors. Before I proceed, is that data still needed for
        these?

        15671 Young
        14658 Von der Ahe
        12791 Selee
        . . .
        <<

        > Yes, we could still use that data.
        >
        > I've been using St. Louis.
        > --
        > Sincerely,
        > Sean Forman

        OK, after one premature upload, I have posted and described. I have
        only filled blanks in the 17 records from Master.csv, not revised any
        bbdb data, because the source for bbdb is more recent than 1989/1996
        in many cases. If someday update from the SABR biographical database
        includes managers that will cover 13 of the 17. The other four are
        Bulkeley, Cartwright, Chadwick, Hulbert.

        The file includes significant biographical data for 18 others who
        never played MLB and are not in the Hall of Fame (pre-1871 players,
        black players, umpires, writers, entrepreneurs); and names without
        significant biographical data for 5 more pre-1871 players.

        Non-Playing Personell/19Master.suppl.csv
        Uploaded by : pgw02472 <pgw@...>
        Description : Data in Master.csv format for 17 non-players in the
        bbdb(managers and HOFers) and 23 maybe interesting others. Data is
        from Master.csv where available (no revisions) or from the SABR 19c
        Cmte biographical projects --19c Stars (1989) and BB's First Stars
        (1996)-- where Master.csv is blank.

        Paul Wendt
        Chair, 19c Cmte, SABR