Errors

  • Sean Lahman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25 11:34 AM
      There are two potential mistakes which have recently come to my attention.

      1) In the postseason stats for the 1979 world series, the pitching stats for
      both Tippy and Denny Martinez. the PostPitching table shows Tippy with 2 G,
      1 GS, and 1.0 IP. TB7 says those numbers should be 3/0/1.1 Similarly, we
      show Dennis Martinez with 3/0/1.1, and TB7 has 2/1/2.0 The other 1979 WS
      pitching stats appear to be correct, so this appears to be a simple error.

      2) A reader wrote in with this question, and I don't know the answer. "In
      Teams.csv, 2003 Kansas City earned runs allowed are given as 809. The
      Sporting News Baseball Guide for 2004 gives KC's total as 808, with
      individual pitchers adding to 809. However, the TSN 2004 Official Major
      League Baseball Fact Book gives KC's team total as 809. The difference
      seems to arise from the individual earned runs credited to Brad Voyles - the
      Guide gives his total as 25, but the Fact Book gives it as 26 (your database
      has 26). On-line, ESPN.com gives Voyles' 2003 earned runs as 26, but
      MLB.com gives it as 25. So, which is correct?" The online sources are
      unoffficial, but it's unusual that the two TSN books have different totals.
      Since Craig Carter left the Sporting News, I'm not sure who to ask in St.
      Louis about the discrepancy.

    • Mike Emeigh
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25 3:28 PM
        At 02:34 PM 8/25/2004, Sean Lahman wrote:
        >There are two potential mistakes which have recently come to my attention.
        >
        >2) A reader wrote in with this question, and I don't know the answer. "In
        >Teams.csv, 2003 Kansas City earned runs allowed are given as 809. The
        >Sporting News Baseball Guide for 2004 gives KC's total as 808, with
        >individual pitchers adding to 809. However, the TSN 2004 Official Major
        >League Baseball Fact Book gives KC's team total as 809. The difference
        >seems to arise from the individual earned runs credited to Brad Voyles - the
        >Guide gives his total as 25, but the Fact Book gives it as 26 (your database
        >has 26). On-line, ESPN.com gives Voyles' 2003 earned runs as 26, but
        >MLB.com gives it as 25. So, which is correct?" The online sources are
        >unoffficial, but it's unusual that the two TSN books have different totals.
        >Since Craig Carter left the Sporting News, I'm not sure who to ask in St.
        >Louis about the discrepancy.

        I have Voyles with 25 in my 2003 PBP database. He gave up unearned runs
        only twice, on September 23 and September 27.

        On September 23, Voyles allowed an unearned run on a play with two outs
        that was scored as an error on OF Raul Ibanez. The ball in question was hit
        by Andres Torres, and was a sailing line drive that Ibanez misjudged and
        that ticked off his glove. I have Torres with 4 doubles in 2003 (not
        counting this play), and so do both ESPN and MLB.com, so it doesn't appear
        that was the problem.

        On September 27, Voyles gave up three unearned runs in the seventh inning
        of a game against the White Sox. The PBP for the inning is:

        M. Ordonez safe on throwing error by SS.
        C. Everett singles to right, M. Ordonez to second.
        B. Daubach strikes out (called).
        J. Valentin doubles to right, M. Ordonez scores, C. Everett to third.
        J. Crede strikes out (swinging), catcher to first. C. Everett scores, J.
        Valentin to third on wild pitch.
        J. Valentin scores on a wild pitch.
        M. Olivo walks.
        W. Harris grounds out, pitcher to first.

        This clearly couldn't have been changed, because then all three runs would
        have been earned.

        Were the total runs allowed at 29 in both sources?

        Mike Emeigh
        piratefan1@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26 7:09 AM
          Yes, looks like I switched the ID's between Tippy and Dennis Martinez
          on the 1979 World Series data. Correctected PostPitching Table will
          be posted momentarily.

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Lahman"

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2004
            KJOK wrote:
            > Yes, looks like I switched the ID's between Tippy and Dennis Martinez
            > on the 1979 World Series data. Correctected PostPitching Table will
            > be posted momentarily.
            >
            > THANKS,
            > Kevin

            I incorporated this change into the DB. Also, Dennis's IPouts should be
            six and not three.

            I also fixed an error in Randy St. Claire's 1991 WS record.

            It looks like St. Claire and Stanton were transposed.