Re: [baseball-databank] New file uploaded to baseball-databank

  • Derek Adair
    Message 1 of 294 , Apr 30 8:59 AM
      On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Paul Wendt wrote:

      > Beside the issues covered by Derek and Tom yesterday, this exhibit may be
      > useful in discussion of U ("User") step 0, as I call them for now:

      > U - what should User do before or concurrently with giving data to Admin?
      > Multiple issues. Scope includes: data format, source notes, proofing,
      > documentation of all three, (other) use of bb-db Messages and Files

      Data format - anything rational.

      Source notes - following from Tom's proposals, we'd want to know your
      source(s). The admin might ask for clarification here since two people
      might refer to the same source by a different name. We should come up with
      a standardized naming scheme for our sources.

      Proofing - I don't know enough about the current process to provide
      ideas/answers on this one. I'm all ears.

      Documentation on all three - explanatory text on the first is needed, and
      was provided with this example. In some cases there might be justification
      needed. For example, if the change was to make SF null before 1890
      (totally made up dates here), the justification might be something along
      the lines of "SF were not tracked previous to 1890; we currently have
      zeroes which isn't accurate." I don't think much documentation is needed
      on the source notes unless there were discrepancies and we're picking one
      source as more reliable than another. The only documentation I can think
      of for proofing is helpful hints - "duceyro01 should be looked at during
      proofing - I believe I got the splitting up of his stats over stints
      correct, but he should be verified."

      bbdb messages - I think we've always been encouraged to post when we're
      working on something so we can avoid duplication of effort. This should
      probably continue. In addition, bbdb can be used by a User who wants to
      submit his work. Send it out to the list (just as you did for this one),
      posting a file if necessary. Then an Admin with spare time can post a note
      saying, "I'll take care of this one," very much like Sean F. does now.

      > 0 - What should/must Admin do after receipt from User, perhaps partly in
      > exchange with User, before proceeding?
      > >
      > > 1 - checkout the Batting.csv file,
      > > 2 . . .

      Obviously there might be some flow back and forth between the Admin and
      the User for clarification, but after that it should go as Tom previously
      outlined.

      Regards,
      Derek
    • baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com
      Message 294 of 294 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the baseball-databank
        group.

        File : /Awards Folder/TSN Player of the Year.xls
        Uploaded by : kjokbaseball <kjokbaseball@...>
        Description : TSN POY 1944 thru 1991

        You can access this file at the URL:

        kjokbaseball <kjokbaseball@...>