Re: Pitching Data and a General Note

  • tangotiger
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 9, 2004
      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wendt <pgw@w...> wrote:
      > 9 Apr 2004, tangotiger replied to Tom R:
      >
      > > > By the way, something I keep track on Retrosheet is WP for
      > > > catchers and passed balls for pitchers.
      > >
      > > Tom, you and I are among the handfuls (I think)
      >
      > handsful, I think

      Paul: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=handfuls

      In any case, I wasn't pondering the spelling of the word, but rather
      the idea that very few people would consider tallying the PB and WP
      records for both the pitcher and catcher.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 12, 2004
        tjruane wrote:
        > Sean Forman wrote:
        >
        > > In fielding, we could use
        > >
        > > Catcher SB, CS, and Catcher interference.
        > >
        > > Pickoffs for pitchers
        >
        > What about SB and CS for pitchers?

        > By the way, something I keep track on Retrosheet is WP for
        > catchers and passed balls for pitchers.

        Absolutely. All four would be great.

        > > Games started and innings played by position.
        >
        > What's the rule on visiting starters who never take the field
        > in the bottom of the 1st? Wasn't a "Mark McGuire" rule put into
        > effect at some point that wouldn't give a player like that
        > credit for a defensive game played? Should I count only those
        > players on the field at the start of the bottom of the 1st as
        > starters for the visitors? Or should I treat these differently
        > prior to some date?

        I'm not sure which is better or if a standard policy has been applied to
        the data in the BDB.

        > > We could also use separate LF/CF/RF data for any years you can
        > > provide it.
        >
        > I thought you already had this data. As a matter of fact,
        > my recollection is that I got much of this data from you.

        I'm referring to the errors, PO, A, Innings data for pre-2000 years. I
        think you did get the games played for pre-retro years from me.

        > > A listing of all triple plays you have
        >
        > You just want a listing? Or do you want triples plays included
        > in each players defensive stats?

        Well, if you could just provide a list of year, team, playerID, TP, then
        we ought to be able to fold that into the fielding table. I also think
        a listing of the triple plays in some way would be fun to have in the
        DB. Date, teams, situation, scoring, player's involved.

        > > In pitching,
        > > RBOE, 2B, 3B, SB, CS, CI, Pickoffs (as Tom listed)
        >
        > Oh, you are including SB and CS under pitching (rather than
        > defensive stats). Do you really want it here? And do you
        > really want pickoffs in two places (since it's listed above
        > under defensive stats). In my DB, I treat SB, CS and pickoffs
        > as defensive stats, not pitching stats.

        I think it probably makes more sense under fielding, but it might make
        the most sense to add it as a separate table.

        > > I might also like to see reliever pitching as well, but that
        > > isn't a high priority.
        >
        > What do you mean here? Do you want to see relief innings,
        > runs and earned runs, or do you want complete relief stats
        > (hits, walks, Ks, WP, and so on)?

        > Tom Ruane

        I was thinking complete, but I didn't want to be too greedy.

        Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 15, 2004
          Tom R:

          Also, batting and pitching data by BALLPARK by year, broken down by
          home team and away team, and by LH and RH hitters, would be awsome.
          I already have this data for most "old" retrosheet years, but with
          the demise of A.S.S. I don't have it for 2003 or for the recently
          released Retrosheet seasons.

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-