Row Delimiter

  • Daniel Levine
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
      Hi folks!

      In an attempt to aid the normalization effort, I went to update SABR's
      version of the BBDB to the current version of it. This would result in
      scripts to convert the DB to SQL 2000, as well as a set of normalization
      scripts that may help keep us from reinventing various wheels.

      In any case, when I downloaded the current set of files from
      http://www.baseball-databank.org/, it appears the MASTER table, as well as
      several others, lack an end of record delimiter. Am I just missing
      something? Help?

      Thanks!

      -Daniel

      Daniel Levine
      http://www.DMLCo.com 713.861.6557
      DMLCo: solving the challenges where people and technology meet
      *** Now featuring the DMLContent Management System ***
    • Paul DuBois
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
        At 12:08 -0600 12/29/03, Daniel Levine wrote:
        >Hi folks!
        >
        >In an attempt to aid the normalization effort, I went to update SABR's
        >version of the BBDB to the current version of it. This would result in
        >scripts to convert the DB to SQL 2000, as well as a set of normalization
        >scripts that may help keep us from reinventing various wheels.
        >
        >In any case, when I downloaded the current set of files from
        >http://www.baseball-databank.org/, it appears the MASTER table, as well as
        >several others, lack an end of record delimiter. Am I just missing
        >something? Help?

        Which file(s) did you download, exactly? I just took a look at Master.txt
        from http://www.baseball-databank.org/files/BDB-csv-2003-12-22.zip
        and from http://www.baseball-databank.org/files/tables/Master.zip
        and it appears that records have newline (linefeed) at the end.
      • dmlco
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
          > Which file(s) did you download, exactly? I just took a look at
          Master.txt
          > from http://www.baseball-databank.org/files/BDB-csv-2003-12-22.zip
          > and from http://www.baseball-databank.org/files/tables/Master.zip
          > and it appears that records have newline (linefeed) at the end.

          D'OH!

          My bad ... sorry about that. I checked for CR and CRLF, but forgot
          to check for LF alone.

          A related question: is it possible to include a header row with the
          fieldnames? That would make it easier for folks to import the data
          into new and previously unanticipated systems. Not a big deal,
          though.

          -Daniel