Re: Newbie Help

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
      Seems like someone talked about having a "newbie" file at one time,
      but don't think there is one.

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Nuke Pooch"
      <nukepooch@y...> wrote:
      > What a great find this site/group has been!
      >
      > Quick question. Is there a newbie post or file? I love all the
      > work everyone has done and I would like to view it. 1800+ messages
      > is a lot to go through. :-) I read the latest messages and the
      > first ones as well.
      >
      > Thanks for the help!
      >
      > Scott
    • David J Wheeler
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
        Being new to databases, I am wondering if someone might help me with instructions on how to query career stats from the csv data provided recently.

        I have tried opening the db file itself, but my computer locks up (as if the file is too large to process. Is there a trick to this I don't know of?

        All help is greatly appreciated.
      • Matthew Gargano
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012
          The easy way: use microsoft access

          If you are using windows, the cheaper-and-not-as-easy-but-probably-better-way is to install XAMPP (or LAMP if you have a spare computer or want to use a virtual machine) and use something like phpmyadmin which provides an easy queryable interface. I'd recommend learning PHP, IMO it makes it a helluva lot easier to process the data. With PHP you can also use the baseball tools library I created (shameless plug)  https://github.com/matstars/baseball-tools

          Net/net, if you don't want to spend a fair amount of time, access is your best bet.

          On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM, David J Wheeler <dj.wheeler@...> wrote:
          Being new to databases, I am wondering if someone might help me with instructions on how to query career stats from the csv data provided recently.

          I have tried opening the db file itself, but my computer locks up (as if the file is too large to process. Is there a trick to this I don't know of?

          All help is greatly appreciated.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
             baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012
            You should download the Lahman MS Access database:

            http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/

            It'll make life easier for you.

            Tom