Newbie Help

  • Nuke Pooch
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
      What a great find this site/group has been!

      Quick question. Is there a newbie post or file? I love all the
      work everyone has done and I would like to view it. 1800+ messages
      is a lot to go through. :-) I read the latest messages and the
      first ones as well.

      Thanks for the help!

      Scott
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
        Seems like someone talked about having a "newbie" file at one time,
        but don't think there is one.

        --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Nuke Pooch"
        <nukepooch@y...> wrote:
        > What a great find this site/group has been!
        >
        > Quick question. Is there a newbie post or file? I love all the
        > work everyone has done and I would like to view it. 1800+ messages
        > is a lot to go through. :-) I read the latest messages and the
        > first ones as well.
        >
        > Thanks for the help!
        >
        > Scott
      • David J Wheeler
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
          Being new to databases, I am wondering if someone might help me with instructions on how to query career stats from the csv data provided recently.

          I have tried opening the db file itself, but my computer locks up (as if the file is too large to process. Is there a trick to this I don't know of?

          All help is greatly appreciated.
        • Matthew Gargano
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012
            The easy way: use microsoft access

            If you are using windows, the cheaper-and-not-as-easy-but-probably-better-way is to install XAMPP (or LAMP if you have a spare computer or want to use a virtual machine) and use something like phpmyadmin which provides an easy queryable interface. I'd recommend learning PHP, IMO it makes it a helluva lot easier to process the data. With PHP you can also use the baseball tools library I created (shameless plug)  https://github.com/matstars/baseball-tools

            Net/net, if you don't want to spend a fair amount of time, access is your best bet.

            On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM, David J Wheeler <dj.wheeler@...> wrote:
            Being new to databases, I am wondering if someone might help me with instructions on how to query career stats from the csv data provided recently.

            I have tried opening the db file itself, but my computer locks up (as if the file is too large to process. Is there a trick to this I don't know of?

            All help is greatly appreciated.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
               baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012
              You should download the Lahman MS Access database:

              http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/

              It'll make life easier for you.

              Tom