DB Fixes (and a request or two), part 1

  • Derek Adair
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Sorry for the non-standard list below - I do all my editing with
      vi and perl, so I'm not sure of correct SQL syntax to make
      the changes below. If any need further clarification, I'd be more
      than happy to expand.

      brownro01 and brownro02 are both Roosevelt Brown.
      The references to brownro02 in master, batting, and
      fielding should be changed to brownro01.

      barkegl01,1999,HOU,NL,OF,57,50,2,1,1 is missing from
      fielding.

      cabreal02 should be cabrejo02 in 1998 (one record) and 1999
      (two records) in fielding.

      castiju02 is missing from master.csv.
      ref: http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/castiju02.shtml
      castiju01 should be changed to castiju02 in fielding for 1994 (one record).

      davenjo01,1999,CHW,AL,P,3,0,1,0,0 is missing from fielding.

      The id for davanje02,1999,tor,AL,P,29,4,3,2,1
      should be daveyto01.

      The id for davanje02,1999,sea,AL,P,16,0,3,0,0
      should be daveyto01.

      The id for davanje02,1999,cha,AL,P,3,0,1,0,0
      should be davenjo01.

      Chad Durbin is back - durbach01 should be changed to
      durbich01.

      I'm up through D now; it's getting late, so I'll submit more
      tomorrow night. I think there are 30 or so more based on
      the size of the diffs I'm working from

      There are also a few inconsistencies I figured I'd point
      out. First, there seems to have been a change in team codes.
      It looks as if these now line up more closely with Sean Forman's
      database/baseball-reference.com. No problem with that, per se,
      however not all the data was converted - fielding in particular
      has a lot of old codes in it (and lower-case, to boot). allstars
      has even older codes - LA and NY, for example. Also, in
      allstars, league is N or A, while in every other table it is AL/NL/etc.

      I'd like to petition that we go back to the previous version's format
      of upper-lower case in master for first name and last name. For
      one, not having this is a loss of information. Second, you can always
      go to all uppercase, but it's harder to go back correctly in all cases.
      This gives more options in formatting and makes the database more
      useful as a biographical resource (especially since the bio info was
      added).

      Regards,
      Derek