The next upgrade?

  • Theron Skyles
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2002
      I realize that version 4.5 was just finished and that a lot of time was
      spent getting it out, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about
      items that aren't in the database, but I was curious whether there are plans
      to ever include a few stats that are currently missing. I realize that
      baseball-reference and the database are two separate ventures, but I was
      hoping that some of the information that is available to Sean Forman would
      make it into the database. Specifically what I'm talking about are GDP for
      hitters and OF position breakdown. I was about to add total runs given up
      for pitchers, but I see that baseball-reference only lists ERs as well.

      As someone who hasn't done squat to help get the database out, I would like
      to express my sincere thanks to Sean Lahman and anyone else who has helped
      to make this tremendous resourse.

      Theron
    • mikerice32@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2002
        In a message dated Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:12:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Theron Skyles" <tgs3@...> writes:

        > As someone who hasn't done squat to help get the database out, I would like to express my sincere thanks to Sean Lahman and anyone else who has helped to make this tremendous resourse.
        >
        > Theron

        I would just like to echo Theron's statement.

        Mike Rice
      • Holmes, Dan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
          I have GDP data in my database version - I added it by hand after the 1999
          season and have some 2000 data, as well. what would be the best way to audit
          that data and make it available?

          i agree that GDP is important. i am constantly surprised at some
          SABRmetricians solid bond with the precision of ballpark effects but their
          dismissal of GDP and SB data (witness the love-affair with OPS with ignores
          any baserunning ability).

          i am willing to offer this GDP data ASAP. i didn't realize it wouldn't be in
          the Lahman DB.

          --- Dan Holmes

[...]

          http://www.baseball-databank.org/

        • Sean Lahman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
            I can't recall why the GDP info was dropped, but it seems to me that it ought to
            be put back.

            I'll talk to Sean Forman offline about the OF position data. I've seen two or
            three versions of this data. I'm not sure if they all started from the same
            soure material, but I have seen differences between them.

            --SL