Fwd: RE: Historical Data

  • tmasc@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
      I asked MLB.com for the "extra" stats that they have
      and we don't. A very pleasant surprise answer awaits
      us.

      I don't use the MLB.com site much, but for those who
      have been looking at it, and comparing it to the
      BDB/Lahman database, please detail the fields and
      years that we'd like to get.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12, 2003
        More positive responses from MLB.com

        Tom

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12, 2003
          This sounds great, and I must admit I'm a little bit surprised MLB is
          being so cooperative!!

          THANKS,
          KJOK

          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tmasc@y..." <tmasc@y...>

        • tmasc@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2003
            Kevin,

            I'm in actual shock! I've been brought up by the Bill
            James view that Elias would try to squeeze every
            dollar out of every stat it would give the public, and
            I'm of the view now that STATS has supplanted Elias on
            that front. STATS did recently donate their event
            files for 1991-1992 to Retrosheet, which was pretty
            nice of them (though really anything more than 5 years
            old would be of value only to research analysts).

            MLB.com might be a new animal. I've dealt with the
            NHL in the 80s, and they were EXTREMELY forthcoming
            with all of their detailed plus/minus data (though
            back then it was in paper form). Maybe MLB.com has
            seen the light and doing goodwill might actually be
            good business overall, a good investment.

            Anyway, we'll see how things shake out, though it does
            look somewhat promising.

            Tom

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Jeff Burk
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 16, 2003
              It appears that most of the "holes" in the data are for statistics that were not kept at
              the time and have never been reconstructed. Taking a look at the batting data as it
              stands today, the data appears to include all available years for the following
              categories:

              AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, R, RBI, BB, IBB, HBP, SO, SH, SF, SB, CS, GDP

              For pitching data, including what was uploaded on June 30, the data appears to
              include all available years for the following categories:

              G, W, L, GS, CG, ShO, Sv, GF, IP, BFP, R, ER, H, HR, BB, IBB, HB, SO, WP, Bk

              Perhaps the efforts of Retrosheet will eventually fill in many of these gaps, but some
              of it simply does not exist right now.

              The only two long-standing "official statistics," i.e., the statistics that are known to
              exist but are not in the database, are SH and SF allowed by pitchers.

              By the way, assuming the BFP, BB, and HB data are accurate, and SH and SF are
              eventually added, there is no longer reason to include BAOpp in the database. This is
              redundant, since it can be figured using H/(BFP-BB-HB-SH-SF). Nor is ERA now
              needed since the data now includes IP and ER.

              The fielding data was updated on June 27 with PB. I believe this was the last long-
              standing "official statistic" not included in the fielding data.

              So what we are really after now is stuff that has only been kept in the last 25 years or
              so or is being reconstructed by Retrosheet. Including what Tom listed, I would be
              interested in gathering as much of the following as possible:

              Batting: Pitches Seen, Groundballs, Flyballs

              Pitching: Save Opportunities, Holds, Inherited Runners, Inherited Runners Scored,
              Doubles Allowed, Triples Allowed, RBI Allowed, Stolen Bases Allowed, Caught Stealing
              Allowed, GDP Induced, Pickoffs, Pitches Thrown, Groundballs, Flyballs

              Fielding: Games Started, Innings Played, Triple Plays, Zone Chances, Zone Outs,
              Stolen Bases Allowed by Catchers, Caught Stealing Allowed by Catchers, Pickoffs by
              Catchers

              I have some of this from about 1989 to 1998, although it is not broken down by stint
              and, frankly, I'm not sure how such a breakdown could be obtained. I will rummage
              around in my harddrive and see if I can find this data and get it in some useful form.

              Also, I believe the LF/CF/RF data is going to be similarly limited. It's either going to
              be from the last 25 years or so or from some seasons in the 19th century when
              LF/CF/RF data was separately kept.

              Finally, home and road home run data is available for all seasons. Is the Tattersall log
              available somewhere that might make it possible for us to integrate this data into the
              database? I am not suggesting we try to create an entire separate situational database
              with home/road breakdowns, but the home run data might be interesting and is
              known to be available for all seasons.

              I'd be interested in working with folks to make these additions and improvements to
              the batting, pitching, and fielding databases.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 16, 2003
                I'll address this point quickly - the data is in the "ballparks"
                database already. The question for Sean & Sean is whether any of the
                tables from the ballparks database are going to be incorporated into
                the main BDB in the next release. If so, we can also modify the
                teams database to have Park ID instead of the descriptive park names.

                --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Burk"

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 16, 2003
                  I definitely think the park data should be included in the next release. But I was
                  wondering about home run home/road splits for individual players.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 16, 2003
                    Oh, that's a different animal. The Home Run log has been promised to
                    appear on the SABR member website for awhile, but no sighting yet.

                    In the meantime, we do have the retrosheet data from which we could
                    create home and away batting tables, but only for the "retrosheet"
                    years, and as Tango said, we need the xref table to be complete and
                    correct before tables keyed by retrosheet ID's are added in.

                    <arkyvaughan@b...> wrote:
                    > I definitely think the park data should be included in the next
                    release. But I was
                    > wondering about home run home/road splits for individual players.
                  • rbhs1980
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 17, 2003
                      I'm new to the Group, but I have a 1901 Reach baseball guide that
                      shows Stolen Bases that the Catchers allowed for 1900. The table
                      breaks it down by Games, Stolen bases by opponents, and Average by
                      Game. If needed I can send the information to who is heading this up.

                      Scott Berg

                      <arkyvaughan@b...> wrote:
> [...]
                      in some useful form.

                      > Also, I believe the LF/CF/RF data is going to be similarly
                      limited. It's either going to
                      > be from the last 25 years or so or from some seasons in the 19th
                      century when
                      > LF/CF/RF data was separately kept.
                      >
                      > Finally, home and road home run data is available for all seasons.
                      Is the Tattersall log
                      > available somewhere that might make it possible for us to
                      integrate this data into the
                      > database? I am not suggesting we try to create an entire separate
                      situational database
                      > with home/road breakdowns, but the home run data might be
                      interesting and is
                      > known to be available for all seasons.
                      >
                      > I'd be interested in working with folks to make these additions
                      and improvements to
                      > the batting, pitching, and fielding databases.

                    • tangotiger
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 24, 2003
                        Just to keep you up-to-date, MLB.com has now included our request on
                        their priority list:

                        "This is on our winter to-do list but I can't give you an exact
                        timeframe as of yet. We have a few other high-priority projects to
                        address but I'll provide what we can, when we can. Thanks for your
                        patience!"

                        Tom

                        wrote:
                        > Kevin,
                        >
                        > I'm in actual shock! I've been brought up by the Bill
                        > James view that Elias would try to squeeze every
                        > dollar out of every stat it would give the public, and
                        > I'm of the view now that STATS has supplanted Elias on
                        > that front. STATS did recently donate their event
                        > files for 1991-1992 to Retrosheet, which was pretty
                        > nice of them (though really anything more than 5 years
                        > old would be of value only to research analysts).
                        >
                        > MLB.com might be a new animal. I've dealt with the
                        > NHL in the 80s, and they were EXTREMELY forthcoming
                        > with all of their detailed plus/minus data (though
                        > back then it was in paper form). Maybe MLB.com has
                        > seen the light and doing goodwill might actually be
                        > good business overall, a good investment.
                        >
                        > Anyway, we'll see how things shake out, though it does
                        > look somewhat promising.
                        >
                        > Tom
                        >

                        > --- KJOK <kjokbaseball@y...> wrote:
                        > > This sounds great, and I must admit I'm a little bit
                        > > surprised MLB is
                        > > being so cooperative!!
                        > >
                        > > THANKS,
                        > > KJOK
                        > >
                        > > --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com,
                        > > "tmasc@y..." <tmasc@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > More positive responses from MLB.com
                        > > >
                        > > > Tom

                        > > accommodate.

                      • tangotiger
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2004
                          I would say that if anyone can provide any of the "holes" in the
                          data, it would be much appreciated. (see list below)

                          For some reason, I neglected to include those 2b/3b and a few other
                          categories for pitchers.

                          I'm still waiting for a response from mlb.com for their data.

                          Thanksm Tom

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Soooo, did anything ever come out of this? Or did mlb.com change
                            their minds?

                            THANKS,
                            KJOK

                            --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tangotiger" <tmasc@...>