Pitcher's Slugging Average?

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
      Hi Guys,

      Any chance that we can get the Pitcher's Slugging Average in the
      database? I would like to see some measure of how hard a pitcher is
      hit.

      How hard would it be to get the data for this?

      While I'm filling out my Christmas List I might as well inquiry
      about: XBH allowed, TB allowed, 2B allowed, 3B allowed, pitch
      counts, and number of balls & strikes.

      Also, anyone keeping track of the results of the QuesTec system? I'd
      like to know what part of the strike zone pitchers are hitting and
      the number of pitches out of the strike zone of which hitters are
      swinging (broken down by pitcher, of course).

      After you stop laughing I would appreactiate a reply to this serious
      request.

      Thanks,
      Neil Bonner
    • tmasc@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
        Neil,

        Your request is not silly... quite the contrary. The
        limiation is really about access.

        Since we've got the Retrosheet pbp data (which you can
        view online as well), getting the "batting version" of
        pitcher's stats is easy enough... but only for those
        pbp years (from 1972 - 1992), and if someone wants to
        parse non-retro pbp data, like from STATS or
        Gillette/Palmer, they can deliver that as well for
        post-1992 years (or directly from MLB.com for
        1998-present).

        The delivery of this would be on whoever wants to do
        it.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com