Awards

  • Mike Crain
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
      I have done updates on the "Awards" table (added more awards , as
      well as some accomplishments (40-40 club, HR is first/last AB). Has
      anyone else done any work on their copy? I was going to post mine if
      not (If so, we can mesh together for a nice release).

      Mike Crain
    • tmasc@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
        Following Mike's note, this is probably a good as time
        as any to ask the members here as to what they are
        prepared (time/effort/resources) to contribute in the
        next 0 to 3 months.

        For my part, I'm prepared to implement the latest DB
        design that Tom Lewis and I proposed (and apparently
        ratified by default).

        I haven't updated my TODO list from a few months ago,
        but I will, once we've established any kind of
        momentum. This is the last TODO list
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baseball-databank/message/1242
        An additional 300 messages have appeared in the
        archives since that went out.

        So, I'll say that I can contribute 2 hrs/week for 8 of
        the next 12 weeks.

        Anyone else?

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Mike Crain
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
          Once the new MASTER is done, I'm going to update my coach, exec,and umpire
          tabnle with the matching ID's. Then those will be ready for release. I'm
          working with the Transdaction group and will have a "list" of transactions
          that have no record of in Tom's database, so that will take some of my
          time. Also woking to get a SQL version of the BDB ready for SABR web site.

          There is probably a few other things, but none coming to mind.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
            tmasc@... wrote:

            > Anyone else?
            >
            > Tom

            I'm going to piggy-back on Tom's note here and ask if there is any
            interest in meeting at the SABR convention in Denver July 9-13. I could
            ask Rod Nelson, who may be on this group for a room and a time we could
            meet.

            I hope to put out a roadmap for future development in the next few
            weeks. I'm dropping some other activities which will hopefully give me
            more time for this.

            Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/
          • rfiato
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 17, 2003
              --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tmasc@y..." <tmasc@y...>
              wrote:
              > Following Mike's note, this is probably a good as time
              > as any to ask the members here as to what they are
              > prepared (time/effort/resources) to contribute in the
              > next 0 to 3 months.
              >
              > For my part, I'm prepared to implement the latest DB
              > design that Tom Lewis and I proposed (and apparently
              > ratified by default).
              >
              > I haven't updated my TODO list from a few months ago,
              > but I will, once we've established any kind of
              > momentum. This is the last TODO list
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baseball-databank/message/1242
              > An additional 300 messages have appeared in the
              > archives since that went out.
              >
              > So, I'll say that I can contribute 2 hrs/week for 8 of
              > the next 12 weeks.
              >
              > Anyone else?
              >
              > Tom

              First off, I apologize for my long silence. I've been sporadically
              working on my Web-based DB frontend. No fancy GUI yet, but I've
              covered the batting/pitching/fielding tables (and my custom
              derivitaives thereof) pretty well. Latest accomplishment was to
              figure out how to handle the year (hopefully) intelligently when the
              user queries across multiple tables.

              Though it'll eventually have to be modified somewhat to handle the
              new design (which, by the way, to an eye mostly untrained in DB
              structure [Database Systems couurse is on my fall schedule, however]
              looks fine to me), I think that, within the next three months, I
              think that can safely say that I'll be able at least to have some
              primitive searching of team/franchise tables and, at the very least,
              coherent documentation, since, if you recall from my previous posts
              from a while back, what the frontend accepts isn't SQL.
            • Kevin
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 26, 2003
                My most immediate goal will be an update to the ballparks related
                tables now that the latest Retrosheet data is available.

                After that, I'll have some proposal for how to handle Franchise/Team
                Continuity Codes.

                I'd also like to takle some Negro League data, at least at the team
                level, and possibly Japanese League Team Level Data...

                THANKS,
                KJOK

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                  Kevin wrote:

                  >My most immediate goal will be an update to the ballparks related
                  >tables now that the latest Retrosheet data is available.

                  And with the referenced links, I tracked down Kevin asking:

                  > I'm probably missing something here, but isn't all we need is a
                  > Park/Team Xref Table? Something like:
                  >
                  > ParkID, TeamID, Year
                  > STL07, SLN, 1931
                  > STL07, SLA, 1931
                  >
                  > etc.????

                  To which Tom replied:

                  > The BDB has park NAME and not Park ID. So, we have to
                  > resolve that first, then we can do as you say.

                  A good point. And looking at
                  http://www.baseball-databank.org/files/BDB-def-2002-12-10.txt it appears
                  that "park" is a field under the "Teams" table. So Kevin replies:

                  > Converting Park NAME to Park ID is relatively painless. I believe
                  > the only unresolved issue was what to do about teams that played in
                  > more than one park in one season, but since there is currently only
                  > one park NAME per team/season in the database, that issue doesn't
                  > have to be immediately resolved.

                  This is a serious concern with me. While it is true that each Japanese
                  team has a home stadium, at the moment two teams share Tokyo Dome.
                  Kevin's proposed table does not take that into consideration.
                  Furthermore, the Japanese teams ALL play a number of games in third
                  party stadiums every year, sometimes as the home team, sometimes as the
                  visitors in the same stadium. So simply linking to a home stadium from
                  the Teams table will not solve the problem on a game by game level.

                  I found the "Team Parks.csv" file. Is this the currently proposed
                  stadium format? It's slightly expanded from the above proposal,
                  although with fields for a second and third team, I'm not sure what
                  they're for. The Tokyo Dome situation? But there's only one franchise
                  ID. And isn't league ID inferred from team and year? (From the view
                  point of a database administrator, if team and year are in a table,
                  league is redundant. Please correct me if that isn't the case.)

                  - Team Parks.csv

                  I would suggest having the ball parks as their own table:

                  CREATE TABLE BallParks (
                  parkID int(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
                  parkName varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
                  placeID int(9) NOT NULL default 1,
                  capacity int(6) NOT NULL default 0,
                  builtYear int(4) default NULL,
                  destroyedYear int(4) default NULL,
                  PRIMARY KEY (parkID)
                  );

                  Then for support, placeID will need a table:

                  CREATE TABLE Cities (
                  placeID int(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
                  placeName varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
                  placeType enum('City','State','Province','Prefecture','Ward',
                  'Country','Unknown') NOT NULL default 'Unknown',
                  placeWithin int(9) default NULL,
                  PRIMARY KEY (placeID)
                  );

                  INSERT INTO Cities values(1,'Unknown','Unknown',null);

                  I propose the table be recursive so that any level may be linked to (my
                  own data for birth places is at the prefecture or country level, while
                  city level is pretty easy to look up for stadiums.

                  I've seen objections to the size of some data, like is a full integer
                  necessary for stadiums? Probably not, but MySQL wants integers for
                  auto_increment fields. What's important is that each team now only uses
                  a single integer to reference a stadium rather than as many as 50
                  bytes. Furthermore, with the Places table, each player that now takes
                  up to 102 bytes for information that is repeated (and most likely
                  mis-spelled in a number of places) will be reduced to a single integer,
                  and a given city will only have to be spelled once, making maintenance
                  easier. Besides, at a lower level, most databases handle integer keys
                  (important when referencing from other tables) quicker than other data
                  types, even smaller ones.

                  Anyway, back to ball parks. With ball parks devoid of team information,
                  teams' primary ball park ID could very well be a field in the Teams
                  table. Then, when a Games table is incorporated, the Games table can
                  reference the BallParks table with a parkID rather than infer it from
                  the homeTeamID. This is how I do it in my Pro Yakyu database for
                  schedules and game results.

                  from the DB Design Committee:

                  I really feel that any time the same string is being entered more than
                  once, it's deserving of a table of its own. If/when i18n of the
                  database starts, this will be a very big plus for maintaining the
                  database in a number of non-Roman alphabet languages (CJK - Chinese,
                  Japanese, Korean). I know that how I've done my database, with all
                  strings in the Roman alphabet (English), Kanji, and Hiragana/Katakana,
                  there are certain places that could use improvement. I really want
                  something like the Java ResourceBundle class built into the database,
                  with a fall back when the requested resource isn't available. But I
                  don't know of a database with that feature, yet. It would be fun to
                  explore possiblities, though.

                  Nonetheless, I was wondering what the proposed BallParks (or Stadiums?)
                  table schema was for your short term goal. Also, are you going to
                  include the Japanese stadiums I've uploaded? The Mets and Cubs did open
                  at Tokyo Dome a few years ago, which would make it necessary for
                  reference in a Games table.

                  I hope this can help you focus on this short term goal.

                  Take care.

                  --
                  Michael Westbay
                  Writer/System Administrator
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                    Parks:

                    If we look at the last proposed DB, dated Jan 31,
                    2003, we have the following parks table
                    ParkID,Park,ParkAlias,CITY,STATE,START_DATE,END_DATE,NOTES

                    So, the parks table is independent of the team, and
                    it's simply a "headcount" of any park that any team
                    plays in.

                    The parkconfig table has
                    ParkID,Year,Capacity,surface,[list of dimensions]

                    Again here, we are only describing what's in the park
                    for the year in questsion (and hopefully a team
                    doesn't change their playing parks in the middle of
                    the year? in which case, this is fixed by turning
                    year into a date field, but I'd rather not.)

                    We also have a TeamParks table which is
                    teamid,parkid,yearid

                    essentially, a xref table of the parks table and the
                    teams table.

                    I think that this db schema is positioned to address
                    the issues with the Japan league.

                    I think.

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • Michael Westbay
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                      Tom wrote:

                      > Parks:
                      >
                      > If we look at the last proposed DB, dated Jan 31,
                      > 2003, we have the following parks table
                      > ParkID,Park,ParkAlias,CITY,STATE,START_DATE,END_DATE,NOTES

                      Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I think that does take care of it.
                      (Although I still don't like the way places are handled. Planned to be
                      fixed in a future proposal?)

                      If you don't mind my asking, where is this proposed DB? I've browsed
                      most of:

                      from which I got BDB_2003_01_31.zip. Is this the one? Is there a plain
                      text (e.g. MySQL dump) version of this somewhere? I've only been able
                      to use the data at:

                      http://www.baseball-databank.org/

                      which has everything dated December 10, 2002, so I guess I'm a little
                      out of date.

                      Also, the only FAQ I've been able to find so far involved proper CSV
                      formatting. Is there a more general one that points to the current
                      proposals and schema? A CVS server with a current MySQL dump or change log?

                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                        No, that ZIP is the one you want. It's got the change
                        log, the DB schema as a JPG, and the proposed Access
                        version.

                        We've talked about a CVS server, but I don't think we
                        got around to it.

                        Tom

                        --- Michael Westbay

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                          27 Jun 2003, Michael Westbay wrote:
                          . . .
                          > I would suggest having the ball parks as their own table:
                          >
                          > CREATE TABLE BallParks (
                          > parkID int(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
                          > parkName varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
                          > placeID int(9) NOT NULL default 1,
                          > capacity int(6) NOT NULL default 0,
                          > builtYear int(4) default NULL,
                          > destroyedYear int(4) default NULL,
                          > PRIMARY KEY (parkID)
                          > );

                          tmasc replied, in part:
                          . . .
                          > The parkconfig table has
                          > ParkID,Year,Capacity,surface,[list of dimensions]

                          Ballpark names also change.

                          > Again here, we are only describing what's in the park for the year in
                          > question (and hopefully a team doesn't change their playing parks in
                          > the middle of the year? in which case, this is fixed by turning year
                          > into a date field, but I'd rather not.)

                          There have been midseason moves by teams to new principal home parks,
                          and midseason changes in ballpark configurations.

                          Is it reasonable to put full information in a Note field, while
                          implementing a design that imposes a single ballpark for each team-season
                          and a single configuration for each park-season?
                          That seems unwieldy to me.

                          P/\/ \/\/t
                          Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>
                        • tmasc@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                            --- Paul Wendt <pgw@...> wrote:
                            > tmasc replied, in part:
                            > . . .
                            > > The parkconfig table has
                            > > ParkID,Year,Capacity,surface,[list of dimensions]
                            >
                            > Ballpark names also change.

                            Not sure how we missed adding "Name", but that should
                            be in there as well. As long as the name change is
                            not in-year. As noted later by Paul, we can add
                            in-season changes in the "comments" field.

                            > There have been midseason moves by teams to new
                            > principal home parks,

                            This is fine. We can have multiple home parks (like
                            Expos this year, or Yanks playing at Shea and Yankee
                            stadium, etc) with the current design. The "key" is:
                            teamid, parkid, year. Therefore, you can have an
                            unlimited number of home parks. We are NOT specifying
                            the "principal" home park, but ALL home parks, for the
                            given team/season.

                            http://sbc.yahoo.com