Salary data

  • Crain, Mike (LNG-DAY)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2003
      I have the Salary data that's in the Baseball Databasnk.I presume that was
      from Doug Pappas. While looking for missing Transactions, I have ran across
      several players with salaries in seasons they did not play (Safe to guess
      Disabled list?) and missing salaries for years they did play. While I don't
      have an example of the former, (I'll keep my eyes open for data), here is
      the latter"

      John Costello
      Year Team Stint G
      1988 St. Louis Cardinals 1 36
      1989 St. Louis Cardinals 1 48
      1990 St. Louis Cardinals 1 4
      1990 Montreal Expos 2 4
      1991 San Diego Padres 1 27

      Salary Information
      Year Salary
      1989 85000
      1990 105000

      What was the salary in 1988 and 1991? And is the 1990 salary a combined
      salary between the 2 teams?

      On another note, is there salary data for managers and coaches?

      Mike Crain
    • Sean Lahman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2003
        I would suggest forwarding these sorts of questions to Doug Pappas. It's
        possible that there's some reason for Costello being excluded (Doug could
        enlighten us). if there's a gap in his database, which seems more likely,
        Doug would like to know. We also should ask him to keep us in the loop when
        he makes changes and corrections to his historical data.

        As for manager and coaches salaries, I suspect the answer is that the data
        is not available. The player data is published by the player's union, to
        help players now what their peers are being paid. Coaches and managers
        don't have a union, and so there's nobody in place to publish the data. Some
        teams and some coaches may disclose their salaries in print, but that's
        anecdotal and problematic.

        Regards,
        Sean