Re: [baseball-databank] consistency of stint data

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      Paul Wendt wrote:
      > Lahman50 Pitcher and Manager tables are practically inconsistent for
      > Mordecai Brown 1914, showing that he pitched first for Brooklyn but served
      > as St Louis' first manager.
      >
      > Perhaps the manager table can be checked against all the player tables for
      > this type of inconsistency and its converse, where some team's last
      > manager played last for another team. (Neither check will uncover logical
      > inconsistencies, since teams begin and end their seasons on different
      > dates, especially in the bankruptcy days to 1891. I guess that few cases
      > will be uncovered, and they will be easy to confirm as "true positives".)
      >
      > Perhaps the player tables can be checked against each other.

      > Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>

      The player tables have been checked against each other. I'm fairly
      confident that we don't have any stint errors between fielding and
      batting and pitching tables. I've fixed a couple of the ones you sent
      me regarding the managers.

      My school year ends this week, so I should be able to update the BDB
      more often this summer and hopefully implement a system that keeps one
      person from being the bottleneck for corrections and updates.

      Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/