bbdb biographical committee

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      Is there a biographical committee here?

      For the maybe committee:
      Much data is missing for Hall of Fame members who did not play or manage,
      although much of it has been published. Much data is missing for managers
      who did not play. I understand that it is maintained by the SABR
      Biographical Cmtee, for all MLB managers as for all MLB players.

      Two SABR publications include biographical data for many 19c personages,
      _Nineteenth Century Stars_ (1989) and _Baseball's First Stars_ (1996).

      For example, here is the extra data published in the second volume,
      "BB1st*", for the three men in the database with 1820s birthdates.

      Alexander Cartwright [BB1st*, p24], name weight & height:
      "Alexander Joy, Jr.", Alick, 210, 74
      (I wonder whether Knick basepaths were measured in Cartwright's paces.)

      Bill Cammeyer [BB1st*, p21], birth death & name:
      USA, NY, New York, 1898, 9, 4, USA, NY, Brooklyn, William Henry, *
      (* no mention of "Bill".)

      Henry Chadwick [BB1st*, p26-27], birth death & name
      England, Devonshire, Exeter, 1908, 4, 20, USA, NY, Brooklyn, Henry, Chad

      Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>
      Chair, 19th Century Committee, SABR
    • Mike Crain
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
        I have the recent data and have forwarded that to Derek as well. It is a
        flat text file. Derek, are you going to sync it or would you like someone
        else to pick that up for you?

        Mike C