Re: REPORT - DB Design Committee - initial draft

  • Kevin <kjokbaseball@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
      Converting Park NAME to Park ID is relatively painless. I believe
      the only unresolved issue was what to do about teams that played in
      more than one park in one season, but since there is currently only
      one park NAME per team/season in the database, that issue doesn't
      have to be immediately resolved.

      THANKS,
      KJOK

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "tmasc@y..." <tmasc@y...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
        I will happily replace the Team ID in my database with Lahman Team ID
        or Retrosheet Team ID or even create columns for both (except that
        would create redundancy....)

      • tangotiger <tmasc@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
          --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Sean Forman <sean-
          forman@b...> wrote:
          > I'm sorry, but I have to ask this. Do you have a reference that
          > suggests doing this? I'm just not familiar with designing all the
          > tables in a DB this way.

          Here's a good primer on key construction. And I should have said, as
          this article demonstrates, that it applies to all parent tables,
          though you can still argue for all tables in some instances.

          http://www.cecs.csulb.edu/~jewett/dbdesign/dbdesign.php?
          page=keys.php&imgsize=medium

          Thanks, Tom