4466Re: csv? Re: [baseball-databank] Proposed changes to master table

  • F. X. Flinn
    Dec 18, 2013
      Catching up on the thread....

      No need for quotes around text fields if there is no chance they will contain commas.

      F. X. Flinn
      FXFlinn@gmail | c:802-369-0069

      On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM, John Rickert <rickert@...> wrote:

      Writing as the amateur programmer-who-tried-reinventing-the-wheel who started the thread Michael's summary looks accurate to me.

      Sean's observation that Text::CSV should take care of my particular issues seems to take care of the problems mentioned.
      It looks like no change needs to be made in the files to address the question I raised.

      Thanks to the group for the correction/advice.

      john rickert

      On Dec 15, 2013, at 11:23 PM, Michael Westbay wrote:

      I think that the issue is not with professional-level (Open Source) database packages importing the mixture of quoted and non-quoted text.  The problem comes up when amateur programmers who don't really understand that text may be *optionally* quoted start writing their own parsers.

      I remember running into this problem 20 years ago with CSV files that others provided me.  I learned and started writing better parsers.

      As others have pointed out, there are now well tested libraries that handle CSV files properly for most programming languages, so writing one's own parser is no longer necessary.  It's a problem that's been solved long ago.

      Perhaps objections are from people with legacy home-grown parsers?

      --
      Michael Westbay
      Writer/System Administrator

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic