4464Re: csv? Re: [baseball-databank] Proposed changes to master table

  • Michael Westbay
    Dec 15 8:23 PM
      Sean asked:

      >> What say you all?  Are there applications where the current csv formats are problematic?

      To which, after stating he had no problem importing into PostgreSQL, Ian replied:

      > I wonder if it might be easier for some people to parse the entries if all text entries were surrounded by quotation marks, but I can frankly say that I am hardly an authority in this matter.

      I think that the issue is not with professional-level (Open Source) database packages importing the mixture of quoted and non-quoted text.  The problem comes up when amateur programmers who don't really understand that text may be *optionally* quoted start writing their own parsers.

      I remember running into this problem 20 years ago with CSV files that others provided me.  I learned and started writing better parsers.

      As others have pointed out, there are now well tested libraries that handle CSV files properly for most programming languages, so writing one's own parser is no longer necessary.  It's a problem that's been solved long ago.

      Perhaps objections are from people with legacy home-grown parsers?

      Michael Westbay
      Writer/System Administrator
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic