4367Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Houston teamID

  • Michael Westbay
    Apr 2, 2013
      I agree.  I wouldn't want to change it either.

      This is just a potential use case where it might be considered.

      2013/4/3 Tangotiger <tom@...>

      I agree about using the year (or date) to extract time-based data.
      Sometimes you want Fausto Carmona to show, and sometimes you want Roberto
      Hernandez to show, and sometimes you want both. But at all times, it's on
      carmofa01's page.

      To change Houston Astros' ID from 2013-onwards, because their main
      competition has changed, even if the majority of their own players have
      not, and they are still playing in the same city and the same park.... uh,
      no. Even if they were relegated to AAA, I wouldn't change it, and I'm
      sure I wouldn't change it in the soccer leagues either. Imagine a team
      relegated/promoted having to change their names each time?

      > Handling name changes (or conference changes) in a database is tricky.
      > One
      > still wants the older name (or conference) to come up when querying past
      > seasons.
      > I deal with this by using and XML database that has a default name when
      > querying without a date and aliases with a date range for querying with a
      > specified date.
      > The same goes with players. One doesn't want to change a player's ID when
      > his name changes. But one may want to extract a different name depending
      > on the season.
      > The biggest issue is with dealing with all the applications that access
      > the
      > database. If every web application out there that uses the Baseball
      > Databank is reliant on a single league field for a given team, then
      > changing every one of those web applications to properly place a person ->
      > team -> league join for past seasons is going to be a mammoth undertaking.
      > --
      > Michael Westbay
      > Writer/System Administrator
      > http://www.japanesebaseball.com/