4092Re: [baseball-databank] Digest Number 1186

  • F. X. Flinn
    Apr 9, 2011
      I realized this morning I had missed this email when I saw your response in another thread.

      Tom, when you write "this is what the BDB group is envisioning" I am not sure what you mean. You had asked what it would take for SABR to license everything to BDB. I assume you meant how much money. The money isn't the point.

      Let's cut to the chase.

      Either intellectual property has value or it doesn't. I assume that as an author who sells books, you agree that IP has value. You would not want chapters of your works lifted to create a new work without your permission.

      Therefore the question is whether or not data compiled by SABR's Bio commiittee, by Pete alone, by Pete working with Gary Gillette, by Gary Gillette alone is intellectual property or not (note that it's not splitting hairs to distinguish between Pete and Gary). The vast majority of BDB data, and especially the pre 1993 data, comes from those sources, because the vast majority of BDB data comes from the 1994 Total Baseball CD, which was based on those sources. That CD was not provided with a copyright that allowed users to freely copy and distribute the data.

      Why isn't BDB data being used by commercial outfits? Why do they license stuff through SABR, bb-ref, 24/7, Retrosheet? Why do those organizations cross-license with each other?

      Believe me, those outfits would like to find ways to make the data readily available for individuals to use for their own private non-commercial use. It would help the quality of research, it would improve the work of the Union Project's effort to resolve questions of errors in the records. And we're getting there.

      FXF

      On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:

      > That said, commercial-use license whose intent was to put everything out
      > there for public use without restriction wouldn't make any sense; that
      > would
      > not be a commercial use. Commercial use implies use for the purpose of
      > generating revenues.

      But this is what the BDB group is envisioning, much like Retrosheet, that
      people will donate money to make the project viable.

      SABR is a non-profit, isn't it, like Retrosheet? Is the SABR Bio
      committee simply made up of SABR members, and all creations made by SABR
      members? So, again, what would stop SABR from producing a bio file for
      use by the community at large? Is the worry that you will lose a certain
      number of members because they think their benefits have been diluted?
      Then, that's the purpose of the microdonations, that it will make up for
      the loss of revenue elsewhere. Again, what is stopping SABR from next
      week distributing for the general public the bio data?

      I understand that if you have some outside source that you paid for the
      material that they would veto it. I'm talking about the bio data, and
      minor league data (if that was also all in-house).

      As for 24/7: that's a Pete Palmer / Gary Gillette company isn't it? We're
      splitting hairs, for discussion purposes anyway, if we are separating
      Pete's DB from the 24/7 DB.

      F. X. Flinn
      FXFlinn@gmail | 802-369-0069

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic