3800Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Updating primpos.mdb

  • Matthew Gargano
    Sep 3, 2009
      That's awesome Tom, I didn't know that, sorry for making an assumption.  Is there anything that automatically updates data within the current season?

      On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:
      PrimPos.mdb is dynamic.  It'll automatically recalculate the positions any
      data the data set changes.

      Tom

      > Thanks. I actually wrote a few functions as part of a php library to
      > handle the data. One is a method of determining primary position and
      > another is a list of positions played by the player in at least a
      > variable percentage of their innings. I also have a determinant of SP
      > vs RP vs CL.  I have other functions as well such as
      > ReturnAgeAtSeasonStart, returnarrayofteamsplayedfor and a whole lot
      > more.
      >

      > The only thing I want to add is a method of weighting more recent data
      > and possibly degrading data over a fixed/variable amount of years
      > (depending on age,position,etc.) for the data to make more accurate
      > determinations.
      >
      > I think it's better to make a determination "on the fly"  as opposed
      > to using a fixed database especially if data is being updated at some
      > point.  A static database of player-position can get stale, especially
      > if the user forgets to include this years and used 2007's by accident.
      >
      > I'm definitely interested in discussing further, especially if I
      > missed the point entirely - which is something I tend to do since I
      > try to think abstractly.
      >
      > Matthew Gargano
      >

      > On Sep 3, 2009, at 5:31 AM, "sgtmac5660@..." <sgtmac5660@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Matthew;
      >> If you feel that Tom's primpos.mdb is something you might be
      >> interested in using, just be aware you need to make some changes to
      >> use it with later versions of the Lahman Access database. Feel free
      >> to contact me if you need any assistance.
      >> Mac
      >>
      >> --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Gargano
      >> <mgargano@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> pardon my ignorance, but what is the primpos.mdb database?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)