3798Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Updating primpos.mdb

  • Matthew Gargano
    Sep 3, 2009
      Thanks. I actually wrote a few functions as part of a php library to
      handle the data. One is a method of determining primary position and
      another is a list of positions played by the player in at least a
      variable percentage of their innings. I also have a determinant of SP
      vs RP vs CL. I have other functions as well such as
      ReturnAgeAtSeasonStart, returnarrayofteamsplayedfor and a whole lot
      more.

      The only thing I want to add is a method of weighting more recent data
      and possibly degrading data over a fixed/variable amount of years
      (depending on age,position,etc.) for the data to make more accurate
      determinations.

      I think it's better to make a determination "on the fly" as opposed
      to using a fixed database especially if data is being updated at some
      point. A static database of player-position can get stale, especially
      if the user forgets to include this years and used 2007's by accident.

      I'm definitely interested in discussing further, especially if I
      missed the point entirely - which is something I tend to do since I
      try to think abstractly.

      Matthew Gargano