3705Re: [baseball-databank] Fixing Bat Hand Code

  • Mike Emeigh
    Jan 5, 2009
      Tangotigerwrote:
      > > The conclusion is that if anything should change, it should be to add
      > > the "actual handedness" to the batting table, not to change the
      > > attribute of the player table.
      > >

      > Yes, we could (and should) have a handedness field on both the batting and
      > Master tables. Since the data comes from Retrosheet (and the base
      > handedness data is not in the BDB), it won't break any normalization
      > rules.

      I am of the opinion that the Master table should contain the historically documented handedness for the hitter, while the Batting table should reflect the in-season handedness as Tom suggested earlier. If a player like Orlando Merced, for example, is listed historically as a switch-hitter, that's what should be in the Master table; if he only batted right-handed, or left-handed, in a given season, that's what should be in the Batting table.

      Note that we don't always have accurate information, especially pre-Retrosheet, for how certain hitters batted. Switch-hitter have been known to bat from the same side of the plate as the pitcher's hand when facing a knuckleballer, for example, and I am fairly sure that this has happened in the past, but no one thought fit to capture the information. Where the information is known, it should be captured, of course.
      --
      Mike Emeigh
      piratefan1@...

      "I think that it's high time that a new school of management emerges that uses Dilbert as it's cautionary statement - if what you are proposing as a manager has ever appeared in a Dilbert cartoon, you need to re-think your proposal."
      -- Jonathan House
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic