3606Re: [baseball-databank] 2007 records missing...

    Oct 7, 2008
      We've longed discussed the idea of an APPEARANCES table, so that it
      captures exactly what it's supposed to capture, rather than taking over
      the BATTING table just because the official rules say to use it. (DBAs
      follow the data, not the legal definitions of names.)

      The APPEARANCES table would give us the total number of games played,
      games started, games finished, and potentially further broken down by
      fielding position and lineup position. So, you could have:

      playerID, appearCode, appearSubcode, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, 0, 0, 141, 147, 142
      raineti01, fld, 7, 141, 141, 140
      raineti01, fld, 8, 0, 8, 2
      raineti01, bat, 1, 140, 140, 139
      raineti01, bat, 3, 1, 1, 1
      raineti01, bat, 7, 0, 6, 2

      Something like that. So, for your purposes, you would select on
      appearCode = 0.

      Or, if that's too complicated, we'd have an APPEARANCES table like this:
      playerID, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, 141, 147, 142

      And an APPEARANCES_SPLIT table like this:
      playerID, appearCode, appearSubcode, GS, GP, GF
      raineti01, fld, 7, 141, 141, 140
      raineti01, fld, 8, 0, 8, 2
      raineti01, bat, 1, 140, 140, 139
      raineti01, bat, 3, 1, 1, 1
      raineti01, bat, 7, 0, 6, 2

      Regardless, I do not have an answer for your original question.