3175Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Games played

    Sep 1, 2006
      Tom:

      Don't know if I have a "solution" but:

      1. Batting.G = Pitching.G 28,885 cases.

      Should be no issue with these.

      2. Batting.G < Pitching.G 2,521 cases (All but 6 of
      these are 1997-2004. 2005 has none of these cases)

      I believe these are mostly all American League
      pitchers. If the pitcher batted (such as in an
      interleague game, or where team lost the DH) or he
      Pinch Ran/Pinch Hit/played another position, then he
      got a batting game from 1997-2004. On games where he
      didn't bat, he did not get a batting game, but a
      pitching game only. Ideally either 1973-1996 & 2005
      should be consistent with that, or else 1997-2004
      should all be "re-done" to be consistent with
      1973-1996 & 2005.

      The 6 other cases are possibly data errors, and would
      need to be looked at individually.

      Batting.G > Pitching.G 5492 cases.

      These should mostly be where either, as you described,
      position players pitched, OR where pitchers pinch hit
      or pinch ran or played another position within a
      season.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic