3079Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Unbalanced Statistics

    May 19 6:05 PM
      I've looked at this off and on for a few years, mostly focusing on league totals for hitting and pitching..

      Home Runs and Runs League Totals reconcile perfectly between hitters and pitchers!

      The league "official" totals between batting and pitching are fairly consistent back until 1943, where the NL pitchers issued 4027 walks, while NL batters are credited with 4048 walks.

      In 1942 NL, batters had 10,931 hits, while pitchers allowed 10,386.

      There are many of these small differences in hits, walks and strikeouts until around 1930, where they start to grow slightly larger.

      Backing up in time, some specific years such as 1917 AL, 1913 AL, 1912 NL have larger differences. 1904-1910 is a relative disaster area.

      Suprisingly 1903 AL and 1891-1902 both leagues are relatively error free in league total differences. 1885-1890 is similar to the 1930-1942 period.  And finally, 1871 - 1884 is relatively free of differences.

      Of course, someone then needs to look at League totals vs. Team Totals, then Team totals vs. player totals....

      THANKS,
      KJOK

      cliffordblau <brak2.0@...> wrote:
      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, "dsreyn" <dreynolds@...> wrote:

      > Cliff -
      >
      > See post 2977 for some information on discrepancies in the data.  In
      > short, there are quite a few cases where individual totals don't add
      > to the team totals, and where batting and pitching totals for a season
      > don't balance.
      >
      > I've been working on tracking down some of these problems (though I
      > haven't done much of this lately).  Posts 2930, 2931, 2932, 2933,
      > 2935, 2936, 2941, 2943, 2944, and 2951 have some proposed data
      > corrections (and follow-up discussion).
      >
      > Doug

      So I see, and one of the earlier posts tells how you've been going
      about this.  (Not that I really understand what you mean by scripts.)
      Then my questions remain, is anyone besides you working on this
      problem, and what would it take to fix some of the large discrepancies
      in the earlier seasons?

      And don't let me forget: thanks for your efforts, Doug.

      Cliff