3044Re: Unbalanced Statistics

  • dsreyn
    May 9 10:58 AM
      Cliff -

      See post 2977 for some information on discrepancies in the data. In
      short, there are quite a few cases where individual totals don't add
      to the team totals, and where batting and pitching totals for a season
      don't balance.

      I've been working on tracking down some of these problems (though I
      haven't done much of this lately). Posts 2930, 2931, 2932, 2933,
      2935, 2936, 2941, 2943, 2944, and 2951 have some proposed data
      corrections (and follow-up discussion).

      Doug

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Clifford Blau <brak2.0@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm posting this to both Retrolist and Baseball Databank. Apologies to
      > those who get it twice.
      >
      > I was aware of the problem of unbalanced statistics in distant
      seasons, but
      > still I was surprised today. Upon commencing some research into
      walks, I
      > found some large discrepancies between batter and pitcher totals.
      Taking
      > 1911 for instance, there is a difference of 76 walks between the AL
      batting
      > and pitching totals. In the NL, for which Retrosheet has most PBP
      and I
      > believe all box scores, there is still a difference of 3. Other
      statistics
      > show discrepancies as well. Retrosheet has 2 more runs allowed by NL
      > pitchers than NL teams scored. Baseball-Reference.com, on the other
      hand,
      > has the totals agreeing, with several teams having different totals
      than
      > Retrosheet shows. BB-Ref has the same differences in other categories,
      > though. Does this mean that someone has reconciled the differences
      in the
      > runs columns, while leaving the others alone? Are incorrect numbers
      shown
      > by Retrosheet because they are the official ones?
      >
      > Is anyone trying to reconcile these other differences? Is this
      something
      > that relatively easy to do now, at least for the seasons Retrosheet
      has all
      > box scores?
      >

      > Cliff Blau
      > http://mysite.verizon.net/brak2.0