2230Re: Different teamID's for A.A. Baltimore teams

  • wknight94
    Oct 3, 2004
      These are great explanations for why they have different team ID's.
      From the sounds of it, however, they should also have different
      franchise ID's. In fact, it sounds like the Baltimore A.A. team of
      1890 and 1891 is more closely related to the Brooklyn A.A. team of
      1890 than to the pre-1890 Baltimore A.A. teams.

      As far as what the problem is with this, it's simply a matter of
      team grouping. At least in my humble opinion. Not a hige deal -
      just wondering really. I know things baseball-related get very
      difficult to follow this far back.

      Bill Knight

      --- In baseball-databank@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wendt <pgw@t...>
      wrote:
      > Bill Knight & others,
      >
      > The Baltimore Orioles were one base ball club, 1882 to 1899.
      > Around 1890, managed by Bill Barnie and owned by Harry von der
      Horst.

      > After the 1889 season, the Brooklyn, Cinci, Baltimore, and Kansas
      City
      > clubs abandoned their AA franchises (*in the business of baseball,
      not the
      > baseball database sense). The first two received NL franchises (a
      sure
      > thing, if not formally arranged in advance; the cities were
      coveted).
      > Baltimore and KC joined minor leagues. The AA awarded franchises
      to three
      > strong minor league clubs and to a new club in Brooklyn. The
      latter
      > folded mid-season and the Baltimore Orioles replaced it.
      >
      > When the NL and AA merged after the 1891 season, the 8 NL clubs
      and 4 of
      > the AA clubs including Baltimore retained their franchises*.
      >
      > teamID BL3 apparently identifies that franchise* but I don't think
      teamID
      > generally does that. The structure isn't easy to perfect; I'm not
      sure it
      > is worth improving short of incorporating minor and independent
      clubs.

      > There has been some mention of a clubs project for the SABR 19c
      Cmte.

      > P/\/ \/\/t
      > Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@w...>
      > Chair, 19th Century Committee, SABR
      > Owner-Administrator, 19cBB (egroup at Yahoo)
      >

      > > Why do the 1890 and 1891 A.A. Baltimore Orioles have a different
      > > teamID (BL3) than the A.A. Baltimore Orioles from 1882 to 1889
      (BL2)?

      > > select name, teamid, lgid, yearid from teams where franchid
      = "BLO"

      > > +-------------------+--------+------+--------+
      > > | name | teamid | lgid | yearid |
      > > +-------------------+--------+------+--------+